Begineers Help

I am after some help. Both my children would like to learn to fish. Me being a complete novice myself, are a little lost . Make that very lost. I have looked for some help on the Internet and a couple of books but they all seem to skip over the absolute basics. 

Could anybody recommend a good book or link that will cover what bits are needed, what those are for, how to make a rod etc with pictures if possible. 

Thank you in advance. 

14 minutes ago, gareth22 said:

I am after some help. Both my children would like to learn to fish. Me being a complete novice myself, are a little lost . Make that very lost. I have looked for some help on the Internet and a couple of books but they all seem to skip over the absolute basics. 

Could anybody recommend a good book or link that will cover what bits are needed, what those are for, how to make a rod etc with pictures if possible. 

Thank you in advance. 

First off are they going to fish in sea or in rivers and lakes? Gareth

1 minute ago, gareth22 said:

Rivers on the broads. 

Well basic's you can float fish or ledger. The same rod and reel can be used for both, if you get a simple starter set up. Go to a tackle shop, they will advise you as to what they have and in budgets.... Cheapest isnt always best.  A good tackle shop will advise on floats ledger etc for the area, also hook sizes.. A 16 is a good all round one. Get them ready tied saves a lot of lost time and fish.

Any more help needed feel free to ask me

Charlie

• Like 3

That's the issue I had. The books seemed to miss the bits I needed. 

I want to get things straight, so I understand and can help the kids. 

Nothing worse than the kids asking a question and being completely clueless. 

Gareth,

Plenty of fisher folk on here and I am sure one of us could help you out with a couple of hours tuition?

Or some people dont mind if you ask to watch them and ask them questions - some will be miserable, but most will offer some help. 

I'm not out until next weekend and will be in the Brundall south areas.

Right, we need a bit of info here. How old are the kids? and am I correct in thinking they're two lads?

When will you be on the broads? and will you be North or South?

Bit of advice 1. Be careful not to buy "toy fishing tackle". the real stuff needn't cost a bomb but if it turns out it's not the sport for them, you can always re-sell proper gear on e-bay.

To avoid complication, I'd be inclined to set them both up with float gear. it's the most simple method.

Bit of advice 2.  Take them to a fishing tackle shop, tell the vendor your budget and what you want to acheive.

It is vital that they catch something fairly quickly. then, like the fish, they'll be hooked.

I'm sure some more info will be soon forthcoming, probably some assistance too. Good luck.

Edited to add, See if you can find a book called "Mr Crabtree goes fishing" or "Fishing with Mr Crabtree in all waters" both easily read books that gives a ton of good advice.

• Like 1

In Angling Times last week:

Question, Do I need a pole to fish on the Broads?

Answer, There's absolutely no need to take expensive kit with you. The Broads are full of small fish, and very often a £5.00 'whip' that you can buy from the tackle shop will do you proud. Broadland rivers flow, so the idea is to fish with big pole floats and feed positively with a ball of groundbait with each cast. This makes a 4m whip ideal, especially when fishing from the boat as this will put you a few meters further out into the river than if you were sat on the bank. Use a 'flick tip' rather than elasticating the whip, and don't skimp on line, a four pound line to a three pound hook length with size 16 or 18 hook isn't going to be too heavy.

This may not make a great deal of sense to an absolute beginner but go into a local tackleshop with an idea of what you want and ask, I'm sure that someone in there will explain. I think that the above is sound advice.

By the way, PLEASE don't pick up fish with a towel, unless you want to kill them. A towel, especially a dry one, will remove the protective slime off a fish, that slime helps keep the fish healthy. Handle fish with wet hands, easy.  Personally I use barbless hooks, easy to remove from the fish for one thing. Please take a disgorger, you may not know how to use it but any nearby angler will show you how to use it. Also take a plummet so you know how deep the water is. 

Don't just fish the rivers, the Broads themselves can be excellent, especially around the margins. 

Good luck

• Like 3

Thank you all for info. Tips noted. Its been most helpful. 

Kids are a boy fast approaching 13 and a girl aged 7. But wants to do all her brother does. 

We are out this weekend and will pop into a tackle shop to take a look and get a feel the the tackle.

I will see if I can get a copy of the book mentioned above. 

When I can get a weekend with out kids I will take an offer of some help. That way I will have an idea when I start them. 

I'm a Grandad. When I was a young lad I had a Grandad. He taught me how to make a fishing rod, how to make a trace, tie a hook, make a float, cast, where to fish and how to fish.

I was at Womack not so long ago and a young chap was being taught how to fish by his father. Both of them needed a Grandad. I did what I could.

I went back to the tackle shop. A very helpful chap. I purchased a disgorger, and showed them how to use it.

I taught the young man to make a trace, plumb the depth, weight the line for the float.

Basic stuff, but that is all I know. I hoped I was able to help.

There are some who are not fortunate enough to have a Grandad.

Andrew

• Like 3

Some excellent advice as been given above, don't know ages of the children but a 4 metre whip is indeed the way to go even better if it is elasticated, I bought a elasticated whip for about a tenner for my youngest grandson, ready made rigs about a quid. Don't fish without a disgorger and a landing net. I hate to see fish hoisted out of the water dangling on the hook. Also if the children are 12 or over they need a licence as will you if you are to handle the whip.

Good luck and tight lines

I'll secomd what both Gramps and Peter suggested. A simple elasticated whip, a few ready made pole rigs with the biggest floats and some ground bait, disgorger and landing net. Yes also to barbless hooks. You might lose an odd one but they will also be much easier to unhook. Simple baits like bread or sweetcorn if you don't fancy maggots and quite a few don't. If you have ever experienced the great maggot escape on a boat you will not take them again!

The advantages of this simple setup is that you will almost certainly at least catch some small stuff with the occasional decent fish to light up your eyes! Also you won't have the sometimes frustrating experience of trying to put the right shot on the line to cock the float.

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Edited to add, See if you can find a book called "Mr Crabtree goes fishing" or "Fishing with Mr Crabtree in all waters" both easily read books that gives a ton of good advice.

I was about to recommend the very same book MM. It's what I leaned from & my copy, although dog eared is much treasured.

I would also recommend adding a small pair of long nosed electricians pliers to the list for unhooking...sometimes easier than a disgorger.

Hooks. No bigger than a size 16, I'd recommend an 18. Match the size of the hook to the fish you are going to catch.

6 hours ago, Timbo said:

Hooks. No bigger than a size 16, I'd recommend an 18. Match the size of the hook to the fish you are going to catch.

Sound recommendation, in my opinion, but a famous match-angler, Ivan Marks, suggested in his book that a size twenty could land anything that he was likely to catch. Last year I had three bream over eleven pounds, all on size twenties so maybe he's right. If I use a size ten, traditional bream size, I probably won't catch any obliging small roach. If I use a twenty I will catch two inch long roach and, who knows, maybe another ten pound plus bream. What I'm really saying is that a size 20 is pretty much a universal hook. important for folk who just want to catch and don't worry about how big or small. I agree with Timbo that an 18 is to be recommended but I have noticed that an 18 is too big for really small fish like minnows and sticklebacks, for example, perhaps the difference between a blank or a smiling youngster. 

I would agree that a size 20 is a good choice, but not for the young novice who's hook tying abilities are yet to develop.

I'd go for the 16 on 1.5kg or even 1kg breaking strain line. (3lbs or 2lbs in my day!!). Don't go too light, there will be a lot of 'tree catching' in thew early days.

My suspicion is that although the lad may well take to the sport, the young lady is less so. (sorry Gracie :( ) given that scenario, buy the whip for one and a float rod for the other, that way, when the lass gives up, the lad has two different rods available to him for later trips.

A plastic tool box doubles up as a good tackle box and is usefull anyuway if both kids pack it in.

I wouldn't recommend tying a hook at this stage! With my clumsy fingers I haven't tied anything smaller than a size ten in many a long year. Quality tied hooks from such as Drennan won't let you down and don't cost a fortune. I recommend a 20, Timbo recommends an 18, Maurice a 16, Maybe a 20 is small as maybe a 16 is big, reckon Timbo & the law of averages has it! 

If a rod is the choice for the boy then take a peep at the John Wilson 'Prime' range of rods. I now have three 10 footers for my grandchildren and as 'guest' rods. Shop around, they can be quite cheap and they aren't bad, indeed I use one as a knock-about rod on a kayak.

Thank you all for the valuable help. I have downloaded the kindle version of the book. Will read as soon as time allows.

Had a look and asked some advice at the tackle shop at Wroxham and now have a good idea now of what is what and how much items cost. Kids are really excited to go fishing. 

We are away on holiday towards end of month in Spain so will get bits sorted for our next trip on the boat in August and will get the licences sorted online. 

Branden. 

Video was a great help. Just a couple of questions. How do you know if there is a fish on the line? With a float I take it they bob? Do you have a video for float fishing? 

On 7/8/2016 at 11:49 PM, VetChugger said:

. If you have ever experienced the great maggot escape on a boat you will not take them again!

Not on a boat i havnt, but in out tackle shop in the late 80's the cold room packed up on the night of June 15th (Yes every had a close season in those days) it was  a hot night, we had about 50 gallons of maggots in there, the next morning there was about 10 gallon left in there. A few days later and the following week or so on entering needed to spray fly killer as unlocking the door. Then the walk to the back of the shop was crunch crunch ..... Ask the wench about how easy it is to vac up dead blur bottles.

Charlie

• Like 1