Access All Areas

Poppy

Very interesting, thank you Poppy. It does show how much of the Broads can be appreciated by the disabled, with not too much extra effort on the part of the organisers.

When I attended the Spring meet at Surlingham, I came by car and the walk down to the broad through the fen and carr, which was obviously specially managed by the BA, was delightful. It would have been just as easy if I had been in a wheelchair or scooter.

One thing though - what is "accessible"? Does this mean that you can wheel yourself on and off? After all he had a lovely sail, but he had to be craned onto the boat, didn't he? I have said on a different thread that many Broads motor cruisers can offer an excellent holiday to the disabled. The mere lack of a complicated hydraulic ramp arrangement does not make them "in-accessible" in my experience.

As to their pushing of the "natural beauty" of Whitlingham gravel pits, that is a different subject!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Very interesting, thank you Poppy. It does show how much of the Broads can be appreciated by the disabled, with not too much extra effort on the part of the organisers.

When I attended the Spring meet at Surlingham, I came by car and the walk down to the broad through the fen and carr, which was obviously specially managed by the BA, was delightful. It would have been just as easy if I had been in a wheelchair or scooter.

One thing though - what is "accessible"? Does this mean that you can wheel yourself on and off? After all he had a lovely sail, but he had to be craned onto the boat, didn't he? I have said on a different thread that many Broads motor cruisers can offer an excellent holiday to the disabled. The mere lack of a complicated hydraulic ramp arrangement does not make them "in-accessible" in my experience.

As to their pushing of the "natural beauty" of Whitlingham gravel pits, that is a different subject!

As far as the N.O.T. is concerned - we endeavour to 'enable' activities for all, by whatever means are acceptable to the client. Many wheel chair users are well used to hoisting - it goes with the territory.

As for Whitlingham - I was amused, and not a little pleased to hear him refer to it as a 'lake' - and not a Broad :clap

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Many wheel chair users are well used to hoisting - it goes with the territory.

That is also my point. Wheel chair users on boats are never on their own. They always have friends and family to help them on and off. So just because a certain type of cruiser is not specifically "adapted" for the disabled, this does not mean that they cannot have a fabulous holiday on board. As I said elsewhere, the Bounty 37 design can actually be driven by someone sitting in a wheelchair.

By the way, when I said Surlingham, of course I meant Salhouse. Must have been thinking ahead to the Autumn meet!

Someone's got to say it so it might as well be me, Norwich in a National Park? What a load of old rowlocks, it's not even in the Broads Authority's executive area.

Anyway, that aside, Waveney Sailability offers amazing access to wheelchair users, even some who are 'double assist' on dry land, people who are entirely dependent on others. Whilst these folk are afloat, as one young man proudly told me, they are free, their own masters, no one else onboard, wonderful.

http://waveneysailability.co.uk/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=12:generalphotos&Itemid=170

http://waveneysailability.co.uk/

• Like 3

If folk with no legs can sail then there is no excuse, Sailability have the answer Whoever designed the Access Dinghy deserves a medal or two, even three. Perhaps if we arrange a shapely handler for the day? See 'using the hoist':

http://www.waveneysailability.co.uk/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=12:generalphotos&Itemid=170

• Like 1

For anyone wanting to fish from a wheelchair adapted boat I have copied this from another forum,although i'm sure the poster,John Currie wont mind.

Ay up all
The wheeley boat wheel chair friendly boat will now be located on the river Bure at Wroxham,at the" Kings Head" pub.If any disabled angler would like to book the boat which is free of charge including an outboard please contact me on 07776221959,you do not have to be registered disabled and if in any doubt please just ring to ask.The boat is still run and paid for by reg 33 pac and the Norwich and district pike club.It is always a struggle financially to cover expenses so I am happy to report that the Kings Head will be allowing us to moor at a secure berth free of charge all year.The new location is a lot easier for access by wheel chair.
Many thanks.

• Like 2

The international 2.4m is an Olympic disability class, but in club racing can be raced with almost all levels of fitness or disabliity. very competitive. There are a couple raced at Wroxham or Horning occasionally

steering is by joystick or foot pedals as required.

Sailing is one of the few sports where if you are fit or Unfit, 8 years old or 108 years old anyone can race together and anyone can win.

Being beaten by a 8 year old is a bit annoying...

Image result for international 2.4m class racing gbr

th?&id=OIP.M334cd91a1bdca727b25072f32e34

• Like 1

The NOT used to have one of these, and brilliant fun it was. I was out in it myself one day ( a Saturday afternoon) towards th top of the broad when I became aware of one of Clive's heading in my direction. I headed away, and it turned further towards me.
It was then apparent that I ( or the boat ) was the subject of interest and that I was 'under observation'.

" Eeee, f***in' 'ell, there's a bloke in it" I heard, shouted loudly.  They thought somebody somewhere was controlling a large model yacht via radio. :party:

• Like 2