Broads Beat Patnership Meeting

Wildfuzz

Had my monthly meeting yesterday with Broads Beat Environment Agency and Broads Authority. On the crime side of things we are doing very well only a very minimal amount of opportunist type crimes, no patters or obvious problems around the Broads area, which is good news. Since June 16th there have been 1528 checks for rod licenses and 139 people reported for this offence, that's a 9% evasion rate and gets a fine of £400 each. There has been a significant rise in the use of illegal Crayfish traps, a new zip type trap is being used so keep your eyes open for these and call them in.

There are several ongoing cases for Toll offences which whilst seemingly slow to progress are in motion and several fines of £200 have already been issued and the tolls to be paid on top of that, seems the Magistrates are "on board" with this one.

Something for people to have a look at is a smart phone App called "People Safe" this is an app which if you shake your phone it will start videoing and alert up to three contact's of your exact location and allow them to see the footage filmed. Although initially aimed at lone workers this is great for anyone out and about on their own and is a great little App and endorsed by the Police.

Finally I have a boat alarm / tracker to test with a view to this also being endorsed by the Police. I will give a full report once I have had a play with it and let you know. I will also work on any 12v/24v supply so would be good for caravans, motorhomes, cars etc etc.

Keep me posted of any news, requests or snippets of info.

S.

• Like 6

Just curious, Stuart, why the problem with crayfish trapping? Beccles, for example, is awash with the non indigenous signal crayfish, surely trapping and removing them is no bad thing?

Glad to see that you are on the case over fishing licences, It doesn't appear to be so at Oulton Broad, for example, with Suffolk Constabulary, A few warning signs in tackle shops mightn't go amiss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just curious, Stuart, why the problem with crayfish trapping? Beccles, for example, is awash with the non indigenous signal crayfish, surely trapping and removing them is no bad thing?

Glad to see that you are on the case over fishing licences, It doesn't appear to be so at Oulton Broad, for example, with Suffolk Constabulary, A few warning signs in tackle shops mightn't go amiss.

Well, that's interesting

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-to-trap-crayfish-eels-elvers-salmon-and-sea-trout#crayfish-trap-authorisation

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Certainly is, not sure if its a good or a bad thing, central government meddling in country matters. I see such traps being openly sold locally so I suspect quite a few do it. As a kid I went to a school that had a mile or so of River Wensum running through its grounds so we used to hunt & trap the native crayfish back then, jolly good eating they were too, Mind you, anything was good eating compared to the institutionalised school fodder, even the occasional pike or coypu. 

• Like 2

The environment agency / Broads Authority will not give licenses out for the Broads, I agree the non native are all over the place and apparently taste good to. I think the issue is with wildlife, we have had several instances of otters being drowned in illegal traps in the past, and I guess it would be another thing to try and monitor / police. You can buy both legal and illegal traps on the internet and spotting one in the water is very difficult, they usually come to light attached to a prop or when a trapped animal causes them to float to the top. Legal traps will always have a small yellow tag attached so the authorities can trace the owner and ensure they are compliant with the legislation, but as I said I am not aware of a single license being issues on the network.

As a kid we used old wine bottles with the depressed bottom, we used to knock out the center cork the top and weigh down at the bottom of streams, the little fellows could get in but not out.(Ray MEARS eat your heart out, survival in deepest Essex)

• Like 4

Is there a season for crayfish? I ask as a week before the fiahing season started I spotted a chap mud weighted in the middle of the water just outside brundall with about 6 keep nets in the water and about 5 buckets on the small boat. I've spotted the chap about 4-5 times since speeding about over the speed limit. I assumed he was part of one of the agencies.

I believe I have some photos somewhere I could try and pm you them. Branden

1 hour ago, brandenjg said:

Is there a season for crayfish? I ask as a week before the fiahing season started I spotted a chap mud weighted in the middle of the water just outside brundall with about 6 keep nets in the water and about 5 buckets on the small boat. I've spotted the chap about 4-5 times since speeding about over the speed limit. I assumed he was part of one of the agencies.

Early last Thursday evening, while on our way back to Brundall Bay from a trip over to the Northern broads, we saw who I presume to be the same chap, who, having overtaken us at some speed was checking his nets,   We assumed he was an eel catcher as he looked very much the same as those that were a familiar sight when we were on the Great Ouse and as we are aware  that eel catching is very much on the decline we asked him how he was faring and the answer was "not too well these days" It has never occurred to me that there may be a closed season for eel catching as there is with fishing. Is there?

regards,

Carole

If the bloke being described is an older gentleman, who tends to wear a pair of waders and no shirt, and scoots around in a small yellow plastic boat with an outboard motor, which he helms from a standing position ... he's a licensed eel catcher and operates, legally, all over the northern rivers.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:35 AM, brandenjg said:

I have traced and checked this gentleman he is indeed a licensed eel fisherman  and compliant with all current regulations. As for the speeding issues with all the nets he has around he wizzes around to service them all, no excuse for excess speed though.

S.

• Like 1

On the eel theme, there must be quite a few bootlaces about. Last Thursday saw an angler just down from Beauchamp Arms catch one and then a Cormorant - the eel won though as the Cormorant couldn't hold onto it's slippery dinner!! My jellied eels on Monday were scrummy thoughcheers