Ferry Inn Horning

marshman

Got to keep him on his toes MMcheers

I'm in a happy mood today as it is getting close to a long weekend and we are seeing friends who we haven't seen for ages so lots to catch up on and the concert at Holkam on Saturday should be really good. So :kiss to you as well - in fact I will make it a point in all my posts today so people can tell we are a "loving" forum despite all our gripes:naughty:

In fact today should be official "Forum Loving Day":hiding:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baitrunner said:

Got to keep him on his toes MMcheers

I'm in a happy mood today as it is getting close to a long weekend and we are seeing friends who we haven't seen for ages so lots to catch up on and the concert at Holkam on Saturday should be really good. So :kiss to you as well - in fact I will make it a point in all my posts today so people can tell we are a "loving" forum despite all our gripes:naughty:

In fact today should be official "Forum Loving Day":hiding:

That would explain all your stocking up of wines etc. Have a good weekend one and all, cheer up, it will soon be Halloween ! :naughty:

cheersIain

8 hours ago, Viking23 said:

This coming weekend is going to be spectacular going past the Ferry inn.

I wish I was there with a video camera, certainly a time lapse video would look mental. Mind you, I wouldn't have my boat within a mile lol.

I would guess that all the big trip boats will be out this bank holiday weekend, many hire craft too, and wherries often put in an appearance, but not only that, nearly all the day boats will be trying to work out what to do. Now throw in a few tacking yachts, no doubt the Horning sailing club will want to have a race amonst all this chaos too. Throw in a few speeding safety boats... 

Brilliant, I hope someone can be there with a camera. A drone would be even better.

Richard

Having been on the race committee in the past I can say:

There are only 5 or 6 Down river races each year from Horning sailing club, (+ the 3RR)

They are:

1. Chosen as much as possible for quiet times ( March, April, May) ( there was 1 in July and no more after that this year.)

2. Chosen to try to avoid any of the other sailing clubs events at Thurne or Acle

3. Chosen for going down with the tide  and back with the tide with a stop for lunch at Acle or Thurne

None of our Rescue boats can plane when crewed for duty (Yes I know I'm overweight), and we have been criticised by BA personnel for having rescue boats that are too slow. It can very difficult to stay with the sailing boats on a down river race, On rescue boat duty, I have been left behind....Which is why one rescue boat goes ahead of the fleet (also it places a turning buoy in front of the fleet) and one or two of the competitors have hand held radios issued. So the start line crew, Rescue boats, competitors and the clubhouse are all in communication with each other.,

The Next Down River race is Snowflake Sailing Clubs Tri-Icicle in Early October.

• Like 1

Still with the Ferry Inn but maybe a bit off topic, while working on our boat recently, we have heard what sounds like a live band at the pub and from our mooring they sound good. Can anyone verify?