Ferry Inn Horning

marshman

Interesting developments at Horning Ferry - following the closure of the Woodbastwick moorings, sad now to see the No Mooring signs go up over the last few days.

Does anyone want to guess who the new tenant is, or indeed know? Such a shame that greed seems to have got the better of Woodbastwick Estates and perhaps worse that the authorities condone both double mooring and stern on moorings on a blind bend - surely they must realise that not everyone wants to be squashed, or indeed forced into a pub car park, attached as it is to such a "fine" eating establishment. I suppose the only upside is that if you do have to eat in the pub, mooring is cheaper!!

My only real wish is that the BA should actually consult with river users over the issues involved, rather than acquiescing just to ensure that the wallets of a few are made even fatter!!  Agreed there was little that they could do about the lease, but the present result is probably the worst of all worlds to the guys who do not want to actually moor squished in to a car park!!! Still they can always move on i suppose but the proliferation of additional mooring charges on to those who are not aware of the alternatives can only add to the long term problems already well covered elsewhere on this Forum.

• Like 3

Come on PW - you can be sure I am merely trying to find out whats going on - far be it for me to ever criticise the BA!!!!

But my concerns primarily revolve around the possibility of 30 ton boats being able to stop in time - only today all traffic had to stop whilst boats were reversing in - or rather NOT reversing in!!

But apart from the inherent dangers, it also hampers sailing boats trying to tack - Hunter boats cannot just turn on engines ( yet! ) and not everyone will have time to see what is going on before perhaps having to take action. Or not!

Having said that of course, it would seem that both the landlord of the pub, and Woodbastwick Estates also, are in a win win situation at the expense of the river user - I suppose its only natural that the BA need to do all it can to help support local businesses.

I wonder if the NSBA were consulted for example?? Or perhaps Horning SC??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marshman said:

Come on PW - you can be sure I am merely trying to find out whats going on - far be it for me to ever criticise the BA!!!!

But my concerns primarily revolve around the possibility of 30 ton boats being able to stop in time - only today all traffic had to stop whilst boats were reversing in - or rather NOT reversing in!!

But apart from the inherent dangers, it also hampers sailing boats trying to tack - Hunter boats cannot just turn on engines ( yet! ) and not everyone will have time to see what is going on before perhaps having to take action. Or not!

Having said that of course, it would seem that both the landlord of the pub, and Woodbastwick Estates also, are in a win win situation at the expense of the river user - I suppose its only natural that the BA need to do all it can to help support local businesses.

I wonder if the NSBA were consulted for example?? Or perhaps Horning SC??

Wouldn't want to put his personally signed Christmas card at risk  .  :naughty:

PW - as far as I am aware this was done with the full agreement of the BA, and without consultation with other river users who could be affected - indeed they may well have negotiated with the Ferry, not others, to reach what they believe is a satisfactory result. Hardly surprising then that agreement was reached since it appears to suit admirably the parties concerned and as ever, has little regard to those not directly connected, but concerned for one reason or another.

Must admit, as far as I am aware the NSBA were not consulted neither was the Nav Com although to be fair it may well be outside their jurisdiction.Within the BA any decision looks as though it rested directly with the new Head Ranger.

Marsh, thank you for that. A new head ranger, new one on me. The hierarchy and excessive management structure of the BA never ceases to amaze and concern me. Does this then mean that Adrian Vernon has moved up, out or sideways? It's a stretch of the river that I avoid like the plague so am not aware of the ins and outs of this one but I do know that the Ferry people are seeking pictorial evidence that stern-to mooring has long been established there. That suggests to me that perhaps the BA are not entirely behind this development. I don't have nor have sought any information on this one so it's only my conclusion based on not much. It may well be outside the jurisdiction of the Nav Com & NSBA but it strikes me that both are well able to comment and ask questions.

I think Adrian Vernon has retired, and his previous deputy has been promoted.  I believe that the Ferry Inn bloke is engaged in a debate/battle with the BA over the issue of stern on moorings, with the BA offering some limited concessions (with conditions over maximum length of boats allowed to stern on moor) for an experimental period.  Blokey keeps pushing the boundaries of the agreement ...

I seem to remember way back in the 80's that stern on was used at the Ferry Inn, the difference is they wern't 40ft plus back then and taking up half the river, it now annoys me that in places where you used to be able to moor ten average boats the whole mooring is taken up by five,,,

• Like 2

There are a couple of youngsters who act as mooring attendants, they move the boats about as they see fit operate the ferry and last year collected the mooring fees, this is a condition of the limited trial and mooring should be restricted to about 6 boats stern on upstream end and double mooring down stream end.

Fred 

• Like 1

How long have they been doing stern on mooring there, and how many accidents have there been as a result?

how many occasions have there been incidents as a result of insufficient room to get passed the bows?

Has the Southern Comfort (or Lulu Belle as my mother called it) had any problems there?

Is it just possible that people are crying before they're hurt?

• Like 1

Let's face it, the chap at the Ferry Inn has for years seen boats trundle past because there has not been enough space to moor.  The New Inn down the way has become ever more popular, with new owners and heaps of refurbishment going on and a large garden area, with amusements and games for the kids. If I were him I too would have had words with the Broads Authority to allow potential customers to more stern on outside.

Once that 'seed has been sown' there will not be much hope of stopping it grow - a bit more here, extra boat of three there stern on and so on.  Also nobody seems to have crashed into others on this stretch which works nicely for the Ferry Inn in their case of it being allowed 'at all times' not just a trial period.

Yes there have been collisions here I have watched them from the moorings opposite and been hit myself, no one would know if they didn't witness it as it is unlikely to be publicised  unless someone is injured or a boat sunk, the problem is that the stern on moorings are right on the bend making visibility almost non existent especially when boats are maneuvering, yachts are  particularly vulnerable and it is probably more luck than good fortune that nothing major has occurred so far, unfortunately the guy concerned has a history of operating outside planning consent including enforcement notices so I guess the BA are trying to deal with this in a pragmatic manner.

Fred

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Yes there have been collisions here I have watched them from the moorings opposite and been hit myself, no one would know if they didn't witness it as it is unlikely to be publicised  unless someone is injured or a boat sunk, the problem is that the stern on moorings are right on the bend making visibility almost non existent especially when boats are maneuvering, yachts are  particularly vulnerable and it is probably more luck than good fortune that nothing major has occurred so far, unfortunately the guy concerned has a history of operating outside planning consent including enforcement notices so I guess the BA are trying to deal with this in a pragmatic manner.

Fred

There are normally four criteria for a licence objection, one is the safety of the public. The BA have the means at their disposal to stop this mooring if they so wanted.  Likewise they are the planning authority. Objections to sell alcohol are normally taken very seriously especially if brought by a body such as  the BA.  So why not say " there is an easy way and a hard way let us come to a binding agreement" At the end of the day you need a licence to operate a pub, it is not good business sense to place that in jeopody.