Diy Advice Needed

Well, there didn't seem to be any metal in there, but plenty of agregate (if that's what pebbles in cement is called) and a bloody hartd job this has been too. I purchased a dry cutter and it hardly touched the job, so I used the woodworm approach drilling lots of little holes in a circle then used the cutter. Two holes have taken me the best part of the day to do (less the break to watch the Grand Prix.

The 'exit wound' isn't very tidy but it will rarely be seen. Barrels installed, pipework assembled and system is now under test.

Thanks again to all for the assistance. Job Jobbed!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Siddy said:

... look at using a bog standard central heating pump. it's running 24/7 so look at cost. Were running a grunsfos 15/60 but ours is 3300 gallons.

How and where do you install this, surely it has to be below water level as it needs flooded suction, as these pumps can't lift water if air is present?

Garden is on a slope so shallow end is 2 foot and deep end with diving board lol is 5.5 foot internal. at that end we built a platform to hold 2 blue chemical drums which are filled with 2 * 1.5" pipes over the wall then out of them 6" from the top to stop scum getting through around a 5 foot bottom drain which had a 4" stack we pulled to drain a section, the 2 pipes go into a header box and 2 pipes out to the pumps or as it is 1 pump connected then UV light and flex pipe back up the garden into a large header box containing 3 level of media and balls. This goes into water fall and back in.

The lift is nearly 5' into the spray bars. so it's a flooded suction once you fill the pipes that goes over the wall to start it. same just pull the pipe from the bottom of the blue tanks to back flush. Odd time air does get in it's a case of turn the pump off and it back drains and removes it. 2 pumps failed since 1991

The bottom drain doesn't work as the pond started losing a little water and plan was to drain and re seal but my dad had other plans and rushed tanking it with a liner, took 6 of us to do this with the size, turned out dad wasn't well and hadn't told us and took this option. Building the bottom flush tank also used as a supporting wall to the bottom wall.

Plus side to this system filters always flooded, pumps & uv can be stripped and checked by isolation valves. Pump tank also acts as overflow for heavy rain or hose pipe left on. 24hrs on one pipe.

Downside is when the filter start blocking in this weather the header tanks sarts to drop, should get a call from mother when this starts to happen still 2 days running till it stops. I normally get a txt to say waterfall stopped!!!

size is 20 * 10 foot, We started of with a 6 by 4 on the patio level and my dad talked her indoors into letting him extend to 8 foot wide and down the lawn. I dropped my mother in town shopping and went back to help dig when i saw it was 10 foot wide when I got back lol.

Will put a few pics up when I find them.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Wasn't planning on it Alan, Why?

Ponds with fish you lift the pump to an higher level so that the lower levels of water remain at an higher temperature, therefore the lower level water remains intact, you are still adding air to the water and it should not completely freeze up, you can of course fit a low wattage pond heater to prevent freezing up, do not be tempted to break any ice, it will unsettle the fish and result in fish deaths.

As soon as the weather turns cold you stop feeding the fish unless they active until spring.

Regards

Alan 

All I will say is you put fish in it - get a decent net or you will end up as a magnet for the local Heron population who love a sparkly blinged up fish. And so far a net is the only thing that has worked for me - which is why I don't have any fish AGAIN!!!!

Back to pumps, I cant remember what make it is, but I have one that looks like an armadillo. Easily handles a 2m lift, sits in the bottom of the pond all year and runs 24x7 through a drilled rock 1m high. Uses next to no electricity and has been going for years. Last year it blocked up and when I removed it to clean it - it was full of newts!!

I don't use any filters/UV as I wanted the pond to stay natural and for the most part it has been OK apart this year the pond weed has been a pain. Which reminds me October will no doubt be clean out month.

Cleaning involves me and the good lady with a net and wheel barrow sifting through weed etc to repatriate any creatures we pick out. Larvae, newts, frogs etc. all go back in. I am thinking of buying a cheap plastic paddling pool to dump the lot in next to the main pond with rocks in it so creatures can make their way back to the main pond if we miss them.

Anyone want any yellow Iris's? I have to remove a load of tubas and they spread like mad even in tubs, but lovely when they flower.

• Like 1