Monaco

Broads01

I've had experience of berths like that and I wasn't at all keen! Unless there is some way of holding them tight together you inevitatbly get a gap in the middle eventually which is not comfortable!

Having said that, I have found that most "double" berths are less than generous in width. I've often been told my sleeping habit often takes up more than my share of room! If I am on my own I do like to "expand" onto a double berth to snooze. This is when the gap is discovered.

Many, many years ago, we hired a boat from Ripplecraft at Somerleyton. It had 2 singles in the bow cabin which joined to make a double using a V shaped 'infill'. For the first night we suffered the infill continually falling out and the only thing we could find to wedge it in was the colander from the galley! I'm sure Richardson's boats will be equipped with more modern mechanisms.  

Yes an infill is the common way of achieving conversion from 2 singles to a double. The problem I've found with them is lack of floor space in the cabin once the infill is in place. For the Monaco design that shouldn't be an issue. I guess proof of the pudding will be in the eating so you'd need to sleep aboard Monaco to test it fully. I hereby volunteer my services to Richardsons free of charge - I'll take Monaco out with my wife so we can test the new berth design - 2 weeks testing should do it! (I've volunteered before to ferry boats between Acle and Stalham but they've always ignored me.)

• Like 1

I think the flooring is fine - that Holly & Teak has become very common in many a new hire boat.

But look at the photos of the far older Dominica...

Dominica-Saloon-2.jpg

and then on of Monaco...

monaco-internal-canopy-down.jpg

These are many years apart and vastly different cost in terms to hire, but there is some similarities going on between them made even more so with the same upholstery - notice too how Dominica's cushions have been made with material from the headboards on Monaco.

The chocolate brown will not show up marks, adds a touch of depth and warmth to things too.  It is not always sunny and hot on the water, so some earthy tones on an autumn day with a cup of coffee is not bad thing.

I also see how hot water fed matrix heating has found its way on Monaco and not the usual 'warm air' fed heating system.

• Like 1

I'm not that keen to be honest... the colours dont look to complement each other as well as in the earlier ones, though perhaps the fabric needed to be more hard wearing I think brown is otherwise a less pleasing colour and darker finishes can look a bit cheaper to my mind and lighter colours tend to age better and be more timeless & less open to personal preferences and opinions.

Dan