Real Ale

TeamElla

REAL ALE

I know that there are members out there that are passionate about this - I've never been a seasoned drinker, but I'm fast joining their ranks.

Maybe it's something to do with advancing years, but these days any absence from Norfolk & Suffolk is as painful due to separation from the local real ales as it is to separation from the boat. 

I'ts not just where you can buy this beer, but (in my limited experience and opinion only) where they are kept and served in best condition:-

Locks Inn, Ellingham - GRAIN OAK

Nelson Head, Horsey - WOODFORDE'S "NELSON'S REVENGE"

Butt and Oyster, Pin Mill - ADNAM'S "GHOST SHIP"

Ferry House, Surlingham - HUMPTY DUMPTY'S "LITTLE SHARPIE"

Any recommendations for addition to this list, (including where to find them in best condition) would be appreciated

Cheers,

Steve 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Butt and Oyster a great pub, but sad that Tolly Cobbold (the Ipswich brewery) has long since gone, because they used to serve a damn fine pint of that jollop!

Bob Roberts, the legendary Thames Barge skipper, raconteur & very fine folk singer used to drink in there. I have recollections of some great nights in his company. The other personality that drank there was 'Giles' the cartoonist, he also kept his 'Peter Duck' sailing boat there, what a character he was. A great place much used by yours truly during the 60's and 70's. Bit posh now and the dark brown residue of generations of pipe smoke has long since disappeared from the walls and ceiling. Giles used to have an old caravan in the carpark where he could crash out after downing an excess of draught Guinness, his favourite tipple. I had a summer job in Giles studio in Ipswich, there was a Guinness pump besides his drawing board!

• Like 2

Both the Orwell and Deben are fine Suffolk rivers with watering holes that have much history. The Maybush at Walderingfield was inhabited by some of our most famous East Coast yacht designers as well as some famous for treading the boards. I always liked the Ramsholt Arms. I was last there in 2011 and it had gone to the dogs. I hope it has got back on it's feet because it is also a good anchorage and you can do with a drink if you get Deben bar wrong. Bar as at the entrance of a river or harbour not what you prop up!

• Like 1

Re Walderingfield I don't recollect anyone from the theatre but I do have good memories of Maurice Griffiths, one of my absolute heroes. I once sailed across the bar in a shallow draft East Coast boat that only drew 18". We felt our way in at the start of the flood. On making the river we turned to see several keelers taking the bottom, presumably thinking that if we could do it then so could they!

• Like 1

We used to cruise from Oulton Broad to the Suffolk rivers such as the Deben aboard this boat, a 27' footer. She only drew 18", designed for the East Coast by Francis Jones coincidently of Waldringfield but strangely enough built in Yorkshire of all places!! She was also a good Broads boat & my father's pride and joy. She was a 'show boat' at Earl's Court in the early '60's and originally built for the Colman (mustard) family as a tow boat & tender to their fleet of Broads One Design sailing boats. P.S. I'm the bloke on the stern. P.P.S We were on our way to Katwijk in Holland.

Avocet Two.jpg

• Like 1

Before our time Peter but Dirk Bogarde spent time there. His friend in those days was the yacht designer Jack Jones brother of the Broker George Jones who owned The Peter Duck of Ransome fame. Jack is famous for having two draftsmen who went on to be famous in their own right Kim Holman and Peter Brown.

We are talking just after WW2 so even before your and mine time.

Jack Francis Jones, one and the same. Dirk Bogarde and he were close friends. JFJ's mother bought a large house in Waldringfield on return from Wales and the two sons converted the garage block to operate from. Thanks for that Peter most interesting.

• Like 1

Now you're talking! The Deben,Orwell and Stour are in my neighbourhood, I learnt to rag and stick at Waldringfield,ending up with 21/64 of an International Dragon we used to pub crawl in when not following the fleet round the cans. Mr. (always Mr.,never Carl) Giles often pulled us off the putty and never took more than one drink off us back in the Maybush. I well remember the Butt when Dick Mainwaring had it and you couldn't see across the bar for smoke. For Steve - if you're after a very well-kept drop of Ghost Ship you'll not go far wrong with Chelmondiston Red Lion (used to be the Venturer with a Thames barge transom as a pub sign). It's bit foodie but they're quite happy to cater for folk who just want a beer or two. A meal for four with drinks is about £130 and well worth it. You may trip over us tucked round the corner!

Your fathers boat was beautiful Peter. I found this in Classic Boat archive, I wonder if if was a sister ship.

22-11-10, 15:23
New User

Default Re: Francis Jones Boat Designer

I am wondering if anyone can help?

I own a Francis Jones designed MFV and I am tryign to find out as much information as I can about her. 

She is a Haven Class which I would describe as more of a "Gentleman's powered/sailing vessel" than a true MFV. She is 27' by 9'6'' in the beam and round bottomed as is the style of East Coast boats. She has a new Beta Marine 35 hp engine, (very nice and slightly over-powered), which is clearly a replacement for the original engine. 

I am totally re-building her. I think she sank at one point! Certainly there was a lot of detritus in the bilges and she was in woefully bad order when I bought her which is great in a way as I can fully restore her to her original glory.

She was built in 1963 by Clapson and Sons on the Humber river. The sail is really a steadying sail but she is a great design with lots of room below for a family. 

I am trying to find out absolutly as much as I possibly can about this boat or about Francis Jones himself. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Yours,
Christian Hobart.

Quite enjoying the ramblings of this thread...

My first sight of Pin Mill was way back in 1966 from the deck of a sailing barge. After a huge gap I have been drawn back to place numerous times in recent years.

Many thanks for the ale suggestions.  All will be followed up with enthusiasm, including looking for S&P's "First Light," which I believe can be found at the Crown, Catfield

Steve