Looking For A Word That

Timbo

40 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Not sure about the maritime history of the Scots, though. I know they once set off in a rowing boat, but only got as far as the isle of Skye. :hardhat:  :hiding: 

Ahha Vaughan, but someone was clever enough to build a bridge over the sea to Skye and now its Toll free ! Nae oary boat required :naughty:

In all my years holidaying in Norfolk never realised the additional history regarding that bridge. Perhaps Tim, his gracious lordship Nelson, put his boat on a horse and cart so as to avoid such niceities as Potter Heigham Bridge ! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Not sure about the maritime history of the Scots, though. I know they once set off in a rowing boat, but only got as far as the isle of Skye. :hardhat:  :hiding: 

Actually they got a lot further than that since, the much sung about journey was from the Isle of Benbecula (where I used to live) back towards the Mainland, landing on Skye.

This Skye

Image result for skye map

Not this Skye

Skye McCole Bartusiak.jpg

Meanwhile the Royal Navy were out at the Isle of Hirta, (St Kilda) asking the Locals,  Had they seen Prince Charlie?. Not only had they not seen Prince Charlie they hadn't Heard of him or of King George....

• Like 2

I slipped up Vaughan, I should have sent your original quote to my old friend in Skye who runs one of the local radio stations :naughty: He is/was a bit of a prankster worked in the West End for  many years then headed up there for a quiet lifestyle !

cheersIain

• Like 1

My school friend, a bit of a character...I mean pillock, was a great one for taking weird jobs on. I can remember watching a BBC news report of unrest from locals when then the toll bridge on Skye opened, toll collectors being attacked etc. My immediate thought was 'it would take some kind of pillock to take on that job'...and sure enough there was my school friend on the news footage. Last I heard he was a fisherman on Skye.

• Like 3