Looking For A Word That

Timbo

Another question for the NBN Brains Trust...pencils at the ready it's an etymology question.

The strokes are playing up today so I'm having trouble with my worms. I'm looking for a word that can be used in a similar context to the word 'maritime' but refers to inland water vessels as well as sea going vessels.

Here's the sentence I'm trying to complete. 'Both have a long maritime history'. Can anyone help?

I would stick with your first word - maritime.

This is why a seaman is called a mariner.

There is a difference between "coastal", "sea going" and "ocean going".

When I started up a boat base on the Marne, at Chateau Thierry, I was described in a couple of newspaper articles as a "Marin d'eaux douces". A seaman of fresh water.

Thanks guys I shall try and work a couple of them into the piece.

Interesting evening at a local historical society meeting. Something occurred with relevance to the this thread and it was something that has occurred with the same bloke once before. We had visiting speakers from various military organisations to tell us a little bit about their connections to Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. One of the speakers was something to do with the Royal Navy. His talk consisted of the statement...

"I don't know why they sent me here. Gainsborough didn't have anything to do with ships or the navy!"

... and then he sat down, to a silent room. Of course 'rent a gob' here had to butt in and managed half an hour on

Iron Age docks and Quays along the Trent at Gainsborough.
Sweyne Forkbeard and the Danish
Gainsborough being the furthest inland port
The X-craft miniature submarines being built here
Humber Keels

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Timbo said:

Thanks guys I shall try and work a couple of them into the piece.

Interesting evening at a local historical society meeting. Something occurred with relevance to the this thread and it was something that has occurred with the same bloke once before. We had visiting speakers from various military organisations to tell us a little bit about their connections to Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. One of the speakers was something to do with the Royal Navy. His talk consisted of the statement...

"I don't know why they sent me here. Gainsborough didn't have anything to do with ships or the navy!"

... and then he sat down, to a silent room. Of course 'rent a gob' here had to butt in and managed half an hour on

Iron Age docks and Quays along the Trent at Gainsborough.
Sweyne Forkbeard and the Danish
Gainsborough being the furthest inland port
The X-craft miniature submarines being built here
Humber Keels

Oh yes he did, he painted 'em! Well, maybe not Navy boats but still boats at sea,

http://www.wikiart.org/en/thomas-gainsborough/seashore-with-fishermen-1781?utm_source=returned&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=referral

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Timbo said:

Another question for the NBN Brains Trust...pencils at the ready it's an etymology question.

The strokes are playing up today so I'm having trouble with my worms. I'm looking for a word that can be used in a similar context to the word 'maritime' but refers to inland water vessels as well as sea going vessels.

Here's the sentence I'm trying to complete. 'Both have a long maritime history'. Can anyone help?

Waterborne or navigational?

Here's what I'm trying to do...not very successfully as I just can't get my head around the thought processes this week. I've been trying to find a starting point, both geographically and chronologically, for the 'book' and youtube video's on the ancient history of the Norfolk Broads that I'm working on.  A book in parenthesis as I'm discovering that my attempts at writing so far have been 'as dry as old chuck'. The end product of the writing will be throwing my notes and scripts into a pdf and that will constitute 'the book' and shooting video footage on history and archaeology to add to my blog on Royal Tudor's restoration, before eventually cruising to visit some of these place aboard Royal Tudor.

Of course archaeology and history is about people. A landscape such as The Broads may contain boats, assorted mammals, plants and more than enough dicky spugs to stuff a mattress but more than any other landscape in the British Isles The Broads is dependant upon people. This is a concept that the current administration of the Broads Authority cannot seem to understand. You only have to talk, albeit on line, to the likes of JM, Vaughan and Maurice Mynah to realise that not only is the history of Broadland very interesting but also personal, intimate almost. There isn't a week goes by without one of their posts having me scrambling for the history books to look something up or write something down. This in turn lead me to look at how I was 'writing' or describing history to try and add a bit of liquor to the 'old chuck' I was serving up. Chinwagging with Maurice Mynah over a pint or three and discussing historiography (the study of the study of history...it was a good drop of beer that one) would I be talking about cyclical theories of history or would I be talking in terms of 'same **** different day'? The latter would be the case...dependant of course on whose round it was and how many rounds had preceded the last.  So as Broadland is so intimate I thought the best place to start my journey to look at my ancient history of The Broads would be in my home town in Lincolnshire.

So back to the original post...you knew I'd get there eventually...

I was comparing Gainsborough with Broadland and there were some remarkable similarities, shared histories and quite a few familiar historical faces popped up, so what I wanted to say was 'Gainsborough and Broadland have many similarities such as a long maritime history'. But the word maritime just didn't seem right.

As to whether people would be interested in my ramblings or whether they would still be as dry as old chuck is another matter entirely.

• Like 3

I too, am looking forward to reading this!

I would still go with the word maritime. They say that Nelson learned to sail on Hickling Broad, but he ended up with a long maritime history, didn't he?

Conversely, one can say that the Broads has a long maritime  history, brought there by the Vikings, and other trading nations.

I understand that you are trying to define the subtle difference between "seafaring" and inland waterways but I am not sure that there is one. How about the traditions of Chesapeake  Bay or the Mississippi Delta, or nearer home, The Rhine and the Rhone?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I too, am looking forward to reading this!

I would still go with the word maritime. They say that Nelson learned to sail on Hickling Broad, but he ended up with a long maritime history, didn't he?

Conversely, one can say that the Broads has a long maritime  history, brought there by the Vikings, and other trading nations.

I understand that you are trying to define the subtle difference between "seafaring" and inland waterways but I am not sure that there is one. How about the traditions of Chesapeake  Bay or the Mississippi Delta, or nearer home, The Rhine and the Rhone?

Now you have me confuzzled, Vaughan, regarding Lord Nelson, I have always been lead to believe he learned to sail on Barton Broad ?

Nelson, a pupil of the Paston Grammar School, North Walsham, learned the rudiments of seamanship on Barton Broad. Here, as a youngster, he had nearly 600 acres over which to get the feel of his straight keeled lateen.

cheersIain

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Now you have me confuzzled, Vaughan, regarding Lord Nelson, I have always been lead to believe he learned to sail on Barton Broad ?

cheersIain

Now we are stepping into that discipline of history christened Mynahistic History.

Conventional history would assume Vaughan had a slip of the keyboard. Mynahistic history on the other hand may be able to draw correlations between Nelson's early life and confusions arising from Nelson's last words and his sexuality. Many have believed Nelson's last words to be 'Kiss me Hardy' leading some to think that Horatio batted for both sides or swung like a church gate. Of course there are those that feel that it is more likely he said 'kismet Hardy' fated to die in Victory...in more ways than one. Of course if he learned to sail on Hickling he may have been transported to his youth on Hickling and trying to get his boat under that damned bridge asking 'will it fit Hardy?'. Of course this would open up yet more debate with regard to his sexuality.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Oh Gawd, when I typed that, I had a horrible feeling I was falling down a gopher hole! I hope you get the point though, does a "maritime history" end at the coast, or does it carry on up river? What about Kings Lynn? Not on the coast any more, but a member of the Hanseatic League of European trading ports, back to the days when the North Sea was more important to trade than the Atlantic. What about Norwich? Always known as a sea port and visited by coastal trading ships from the north sea and the Channel.

At least it was, until a load of experts built a flyover bridge in Postwick, and closed it down. I had to get that one in!

Plymouth is a seaport, no-one disputes that - but no more famous than Bristol, a long way up river. The barges that ply the Rhine into Germany, or the Rhone up to Lyon, are ships in their own right, of several thousand tons and they often undertake long sea voyages.

That is why I find it difficult to make the distinction, especially in history.

Not sure about the maritime history of the Scots, though. I know they once set off in a rowing boat, but only got as far as the isle of Skye. :hardhat:  :hiding: 

• Like 3