H.m.p. Oulton Broad?

JennyMorgan

Worry not Grace. Despite the windward roll being experienced by 250 the only casualties were to their underwear!! When you see one heading towards you at speed close your eyes and think of England. They will miss you, a damaged boat is the last thing that they want, it would mean being out of several races whilst repairs take place!

100_3281.thumb.jpg.4a031021b7bd3aec64a5e36f57fe9e82.jpg

Sorry about the quality but this a photo of an enlargement in a frame, which won't fit in my scanner!

This was the start of a Yare Navigation Race, one of the early ones, in a gale of wind, and we were one of the few boats to finish that year, having pulled both jib winches out of the deck in the process.

She was built by Herbert Woods in 1938 as his private boat and originally called "My Lady". In the 60s she was one of the 3 fastest River Cruisers on the Broads, before the "big rigs" came along.

I don't know if we shall ever see her on the water again as she has been undergoing "restoration" for many years now.

• Like 1

Grace, in our early days boating, any time I saw those great big bed sheets approaching it was always "all hands on deck" as I wasn't sure what  I was doing and I wasn't confident that the sailors............(too frightened to finish that sentence). So my crew were never allowed to disappear into the cabin!

Nowadays, I have a more efficient reverse gear!

• Like 5

Vaughan, Jamie is making painfully slow progress with his boat but the hull has been rebuilt to an extremely high standard, he's now working on the cabin roof. Perhaps he's waiting for the new wood to season thoroughly before launching;). Trouble is that Jamie is enjoying his Sharpie too much.

JB, sorry about the drift, too much windage I suspect.

• Like 1