H.m.p. Oulton Broad?

JennyMorgan

I'm not aware that anyone has ever fallen out of a dayboat from Oulton Broad so I can only guess that bars being installed on some of the local dayboats are for imprisoning wayward children, containing rampaging Yorkshire men or repelling rampant young ladies from Essex. 

P2031396.JPG

P2031397.JPG

• Like 5

Have you seen some elderly people trying to get on these dayboats?

Anyone with a slight disability will welcome this I'm sure. With the tidal

rise-and-fall around 3ft at OB, this will encourage those who are less

steady on their feet to be able to get on and off these boats without

the fear of falling. Well done to whoever came up with the idea.

• Like 5

We have a friend who has quite  bad mobility problems and only last night her husband was saying how much they enjoyed day boats but getting on and off is a big problem. The picture seems to show a ladder going down to the boats, are there floating pontoons or there always be a  step down into the boat (apart from inside the boat itself)?

Thanks for any information. 

• Like 1

The rise and fall is not a factor as hires can board from a floating jetty. Re tired boats, they are, some I know are over forty years old because two of them I helped build. However, a number has been redecorated over the winter. I'm not sure that it is a disability issue although it may be, more an excited young child standing on the seats issue. I think that I'm right in suggesting that the boat is question is a Sea-Master and the two in the fleet now have these railings and both have a very low freeboard. I would hate to view the world from behind bars, we shall have to wait and see what Joe Public thinks of them. As an individual with galloping access problems I wouldn't want the railing around the outside but a hand rail, like the boom on a sailing boat, can be very handy.

Just now, johnb said:

We have a friend who has quite  bad mobility problems and only last night her husband was saying how much they enjoyed day boats but getting on and off is a big problem. The picture seems to show a ladder going down to the boats, are there floating pontoons or there always be a  step down into the boat (apart from inside the boat itself)?

Thanks for any information. 

John, there are steps down, or up if you prefer, but mostly the boats are hired from a floating jetty. For a people with real access problems then there is a trip boat called Waveney Stardust that works out of Beccles. She is entirely disability friendly having been built for that purpose.

Re Waveney Stardust find info here:

http://www.waveneystardust.co.uk/about-waveney-stardust/

You need to be able to sing though, we sometimes hear the old biddies singing their hearts out, all the old, predictable favourites, They may be old but they know how to enjoy themselves and no MP3's either! 'It may be because I'm a geriatric old codger that I luv Lundun Tarn, boom boom' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 2