H.m.p. Oulton Broad?

JennyMorgan

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Allegedly very demanding and not cost effective. Apart from that white sling backs & Norfolk mud don't tend to be compatible.

Oh dear. Now, do tell me about "Norfolk mud" and "rampant young ladies from Essex".

I will have to visit the Broads more often, it appears I am missing out on something. :naughty:

22 hours ago, johnb said:

We have a friend who has quite  bad mobility problems and only last night her husband was saying how much they enjoyed day boats but getting on and off is a big problem. The picture seems to show a ladder going down to the boats, are there floating pontoons or there always be a  step down into the boat (apart from inside the boat itself)?

Thanks for any information. 

Come and see us here  http://www.nancyoldfield.org.uk/

• Like 1

Wow, what a fantastic job you and the rest of the people do at the Trust, Pops. To take time out of your lives to allow folk that couldn't normally visit the Broads without your help is amazing, unsung hero's in my book :clap

Grace

p.s Just hope you refrain from telling them any of your jokes :naughty:

• Like 6

I watch the work of Waveney Sailability and I never cease to be amazed. There is one man who controls his boat just with his mouth! Where else other than a sailing boat could he find that sort of freedom? Totally dependent on other people whilst on the land, totally free of that dependence whilst out on the water, not even dependent on a fuel station!  

http://www.waveneysailability.co.uk/

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Wow, what a fantastic job you and the rest of the people do at the Trust, Pops. To take time out of your lives to allow folk that couldn't normally visit the Broads without your help is amazing, unsung hero's in my book :clap

Grace

p.s Just hope you refrain from telling them any of your jokes :naughty:

Grace, perhaps that is where he gets most of his jokes from;)!

• Like 2

I used to teach blind folk how to sail & I must agree with Gracie's sentiment regarding humour & the zest for life. Regarding some of the jokes and I also have to agree with Poppy! I know that I was being tested, a determination to shock, but hey, part of the joy in helping folk who really appreciate the experience that only a sailing boat can provide. A sailing boat calls on every sense that a person has and one blind man I had on board wept as he sailed, the joy that it was giving him. He was over seventy and he just kept asking himself why he hadn't taken up sailing when he was younger. Thanks to people like Nancy Oldfield & Sailability he can.

• Like 9

Easy answer to this folks. Well in my opinion. There crash bars. Lets face it majority of day boat hirers I've come across have had no respect for other boat users especially bigger boats. So theses bars are anti ram bars so we don't drive over the top of them in anger. twoguns

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Not if you are the "overtaking vessel" which was always my problem in Evening Flight!

Couldn't you have claimed to be hampered vessel? Not sure what you were hampered by but I'm sure that you could have thought of something suitable. Fair bet that the overtaken boat wouldn't have known better, bluff is such a useful tool!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Couldn't you have claimed to be hampered vessel?

When you are driving one of the fast River Cruisers (which used to be my great privilege) in a stiff breeze at Thurne mouth, it is more like riding a galloping horse. You can lean out either side as you take the bends and you can tug on one or two strings (or reins) but you are not actually in any effective control at all!  The wash that you make is phenomenal!

Those moments of adrenalin rush will always be in my memory but in fact, these things are very dangerous!

• Like 2