Cracking Solution Required

addicted

2 of the drawers in my upright freezer have cracked down the front and naturally the cracks worsen each time the drawers are used. Spares are no longer available well of course they aren't. Anyone know of an adhesive that will do the job?. I'd prefer that to using joiners of some sort.

Carole

Hi Carol,

I have a similar problem, but the broken pieces are on runners in mine.

I would cut some plastic sheet and use Evo-stik contact adhesive to stick the plastic across the cracked sections.

Take out the draws and wash them and dry completely before trying to stick them. Be careful some plastics can can melt with contact adhesive. You may be better off with some of the foam adhesive.

Regards

Alan

Glue that will melt the plastics should never be able to melt through it. In fact, it must be quite useful to have a degree of melt as the plastic will be quite smooth and resistant to a good bond; a slightly melted surface should provide a decent base to adhere to.

Make sure that whatever glue you use will be effective for long periods of sub-zero temperatures. Brace the crack with something on both sides, ideally. 

Also, don't rule out a mechanical fixing of the brace. Some pop rivets will work well in addition to adhesive. 

We have a glue at the yard that has a filler element which can be built up on to provide a bracing effect. It is excellent and I see there are a number of hacks onlne. Just google "Super Glue filler powder."

I had similar issues on a motorbike that fell off its stand and cracked some of the plastics, I used a soldering iron to "weld" the plastic from behind and it made a permanent invisible repair. The area that is "welded" can look pretty rough if it is in view so would need filling and sanding to make good, worked very well though and was as strong as the original.