Daft Things Your Parents Said

Regulo

2 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

I still have my ration book some where

So have I! It dates from the time of the Suez crisis, since rationing continued from the war, until the end of Suez, and the re-opening of the canal.

My mother used to keep 200 chickens in the woods on the island in Thorpe and had a licence to sell the eggs and the birds to the Ministry of "AG and Fish". They were much appreciated in those days.

I suppose we were very lucky, looking back. There was one and a half acres of ground on the island and my parents grew everything that we needed. Father shot pheasants, duck, partridge and hare, so the only essentials we had to buy were milk, butter, bread, sugar, and that sort of thing.

There was a local club which father subscribed to - and I suppose was illegal - where the members gathered in the Thorpe Gardens pub once a month and a local farmer arrived with half a pig, cut in half longways. This was laid out on a table in the boathouse - then the HQ of the Frostbites sailing club - and cut up into portions for the members to take home. A special Sunday lunch once a month!

• Like 2

my father was notoriously picky with  food and my maternal nan  never got over the time when knowing he was due home on leave  from the R.A.F and hearing  it was available she queued for 4 hours for some smoked haddock especially for his welcome home meal. Sitting down to eat he saw my mother had something different and much more mundane and immediately asked if she would swop dinners with him. He wasn't being gallant he preferred her meal to his. My nan talked of this incident for years.

Carole

• Like 3