Daft Things Your Parents Said

Regulo

Just now, Mowjo said:

In my house if you lost something, mum would say it's in Annies room, if you asked where she was going or had been! her answer was been/going to Annies room, even now I have no idea who Annie was or where her room was!

In our house it used to be "it's up in Annie's room behind he clock"

Carole

When going out with Dad in the car, if I ever asked how where are we going, he would sometimes reply- There and back to see how far it is

another favourite of his was advice when I was due to drive a fair distance, say back to Portsmouth late at night - It's better to be twenty minutes late in this world than forty years early in the next one 

and another which I passed onto my boy - 'Son, if its got tits or tyres, it's going to be trouble and expensive'

Griff

• Like 5

Ask my Mum where someone was she would always reply 'back o' Brough's (Bruffs) on a soap box'.

My Nan would always say 'Ooh you look a Bobby dazzler!' if you had you best clothes on. Where as my Granddad if asked by a woman his opinion on her hair style would reply 'I like it. Makes your face look shabby, but I like it!'.

Back with my Nan who when explaining how to do anything, I remember a lesson on how to wipe skirting boards, would tell you to "get your 'doin's' and wipe yer 'doin's' and when you've finished the doin's move on to the other doin's'".

After my Grandad died Nan was asked if she would consider remarrying.
"I wouldn't have another man even if his balls were hung in diamonds and he'd got the Kohinoor in the end of his wonk!"

My other Grandad was once 'doorstepped' by the local candidate for MP together with the Calendar News Team.|
"Could I ask you which way you are voting sir?" asked the MP with cameras rolling.
"I don't vote." said Grandad.
"Why ever not sir?" asked the shocked want to be MP.
"I find it only encourages the buggers!" said Grandad closing the door.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2017 at 6:19 PM, Gracie said:

Whenever my Grandad was asked where he was going by us, he would answer "Going to see a man about a dog"......I spent quite a bit of my childhood wondering when we visited Grandad, why on earth he didn't have a dog :facepalm:

Grace

Hi Grace,

So many Granddad's looking for men and dogs, I don't think mine ever found away either:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Not my parents, but the mother of my best primary school friend, who sometimes invited me to stay for tea.  My pal would ask his mum what was for tea. Mum would say, in broad Yorkshire " Tha can stick thee 'ead in't jam pot or tha can kick t'table leg, it's up to thee." Translated, this was " Jam sandwiches or do without, it's your choice."

cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

In my younger days (I was young once) there was rationing still going on and there often was not a lot of food in the cupboard. If I asked mum what was for dinner she would often say "bread and pull it". Another thing she said was "kippers with jam on". Margarine was often called "cart grease".

17 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

In my younger days (I was young once) there was rationing still going on and there often was not a lot of food in the cupboard. If I asked mum what was for dinner she would often say "bread and pull it". Another thing she said was "kippers with jam on". Margarine was often called "cart grease".

Rationing went on into the early 50's  and finally ended about 9 years after the war was over.

Tins without labels (if you were lucky) seemed to around in various pantries well into the 60's

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Just now, ranworthbreeze said:

Rationing went on into the early 50's  and finally ended about 9 years after the war was over.

Tins without labels (if you were lucky) seemed to around in various pantries well into the 60's

Regards

Alan

Yep, remember it well. In some of my parents old papers etc. that I keep in a box I still have some old furniture ration tokens. Yes, furniture was rationed too.

11 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

After my first stroke I didn't ask for help...stupidity and pride I think...but finding myself unemployed, disabled and divorced meant I lived on Tesco 'own brand' food with the blue and red striped plain white label. All well and good...I was feeding myself BUT...bearing in mind me being no longer able to read and write I soon got sick to death of meals such as Irish Stew and custard and fruit cocktail and meatballs. It was my partner Ellie,just my next door neighbour at the time, that came to my rescue by sorting out my cupboards and organising my shopping into sections and drawing pictures of what tins contained. I still had the occasional problem having retrieved a tin from the cupboard and putting it on the counter I would forget what the tin was. These tins were then put back in the cupboard in a separate section to be used up at the end of the week. Thus giving rise to a saying of mine if asked what I'm having for tea at the end of the week. Of course it's 'What the **** is it? Friday!'.:facepalm:

• Like 4

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, addicted said:

In our house it used to be "it's up in Annie's room behind he clock"

Carole

With credits to Quora forum:

"Shubhi Srivastava, works at Accenture

Written Nov 19, 2015

MEANING : "I don't know" or "I don't want to tell you".

ORIGIN :It was British army slang of that period and became more widely known from there. According to Eric Partridge, up in Annie’s room was a common dismissive reply to a colleague who was asking where somebody was. The implication was that either the speaker didn’t know or the person sought either didn’t want to be found or didn’t want to be disturbed — you could translate it as “don’t ask”.It was after the War ended that behind the clock was added, though nobody seems to know why. If anybody has any information, I’d be glad to hear."

Mum used to say that too. Since I had a great aunt Annie I thought it was something to do with her. Now I know after sixty odd years.

we took our lives in our hands when we visited my gran and she decided to cook a meal, off she would trot into the garden with a shovel, after several attempts (she often forgot where she had buried things) she would come back with a nice tin of - well something as it never had a label - some of these tins were still wartime issue containing what I think may have been corned beef - we never really got ill from the food.

One day we were helping out and she moved the cooker, behind it we found a marrow that had been placed there for safe keeping - it was properly mummified, - on questioning she finally remembered putting it there nearly 20 years previously - then had the nerve to ask if we wanted marrow for lunch.

• Like 3

I can remember in 1961 - I was 9 years old and things were very tight at home. We had a local food distribution warehouse which caught fire and after being extinguished, all the cans went to the local 'land fill site' - or coup (cowp) as we would call it.

Well, my dad got wind of this and the whole family started to move - on foot - by bicycle - pushing a baby's pram and my dad on his 125 BSA Bantam. We got to the site (about 5 miles away) and raided it. Everything that could be carried was carried and we had some strange dinners for a few months.

• Like 4

Sorry for going off topic but I always read with amazement the stories of how food was rare and how people lived. I don't really think that my generation realise just how lucky we are, I always had three good meals a day, I do the same for my little ones and can't for the life of me imagine what it must have been like not knowing what you were going to eat every day

I bet most people were happy then, I am pretty strict with my kids in that they don't get what they want all of the time, they have to earn it and they think they are hard done by :facepalm: but our lives are a walk in the park compared to what some of you lived through

You have my total respect and admiration

Grace

• Like 6

Grace,

I was tough in them times and I class myself as being luckier than most. My mum was a great knitter and she would always knit us nicely patterned sweaters. When they got beyond it - the were ripped down and re-knitted with a new pattern. the same wool might have gone 2 or 3 times.

I can remember being invited to a birthday party after school and my mum knitted me a sweater in an hour and a half.

• Like 4

I well remember the day meat came off ration. With great ceremony my nan (who lived with us) announced she was taking me to the butchers to chose my tea, When we got there \I was invited to "look in the window and chose whatever you fancy" Well a load of raw meat didn't hold  any particular  attractions to a little kid  and I remember being singularly unimpressed and couldn't understand why she was so excited, so for  no reason I can think of I chose a lamb  chop.

Carole

• Like 2