Non Slip Deck Paint

Alan, it's not just the cost of your splendid product. It's how stupid I would look vacuuming the decks!

If you are working on Ma & Pa's boat last week in March I look forward to exchanging insults face to face.

I have just worked out the cost of doing the cabin, keeping the stripes all lined up and am looking at £300 to do the floor + the underlay if needed.

Is underlay needed others maybe interested?

paul

• Like 1

Lol Paul.. not sure when we are up.. maybe next weekend (I'm in norfolk on monday though for work as we have a few boats to do including B.A.. I can pop in and template for you if you want ;))

No underlay is needed as it has a backing and can be laid as is. Message me over the measurements and I'll quote you happy... We offer a mail order service now (on receipt of templates or from stock patterns etc) so it maybe a lot cheaper than you think.. Also as we quite a few orders I can slot together to reduce any wastage so we only charge for what's used... (Ethical then see.. ;) )...  

cheers Paul. .Hope to meet up with you soon!

• Like 1

Non Slip Deck paint - Here's an option - Yep been there don dat a few times now.

We use Marine Industrial (Worsted - they do mail order too) first off you must thoroughly clean the area concerned, then use appropriate primer / under coat whether you are applying to tupperware or bio degradable (M.I will advise you on this one)

Two pack white gloss paint applied with a brush, if you have a steady hand and are using 'Purdy' brushes then no need to mask up with tape beforehand.  Commence painting then apply the very fine sand medium with a flour type sieve copiously as you go.  Once completed allow to cure overnight.  Then bush up and save the sand medium for next time (It's expensive), then with brush attachment using a suitable hoover, hoover up any left over. 

(Point here - I use 'Henry' hoover for work / boat, had to purchase a replacement recently as my last one got married - It stopped sucking)

Final step, using same two pack gloss white paint the whole area again, leave to cure overnight - Job done = Proper professional long lasting amazing job.  Cleaning - if lightly soiled a standard Broads type mop, if heavily soiled now and again a stiff brush with a dilution of 'Flash' in it.

Down side - It's expensive and proper time consuming, no matter how good your cleaning routines are at some point years down the road you are going to have to sand back the whole are and do it again albeit this time without the application of primers etc

Solution.  Invest in covering the whole deck with 'Dek-King'  this is a upvc teak lookalike with black 'Caulking' lines (Various colours are available) manufactured in strips with a tongue / groove edges.  It is 'Life' long lasting, easy to clean, easy to repair and will never need painting / replacing during the lifetime of the boat.

We have this system in 'B.A's well deck, it has been there for over two years now and we are well pleased with it.   'B.A's decks are once again due for a sand back and repaint,  Consequently we ain't going to do dat once again or anymore ever again for good measure either.  I have priced up 'Dek-King' and to do the whole of 'B.A's deck is going to set us back around £1'600.  Then on top of that is the hours of application required, cost of this is nowt as I will be doing it mysen as per the norm.

Griff

• Like 3

We use 2k (2pack) as well but instead of Griff's way we do a shiny top coat and allow to dry. Then we mask the areas to be non slip and those bits get a light rub down to key the paint. Next we mix another batch of the same 2k top coat and add the sand to the paint mixing in well. This coat is applied with a very short haired mohair radiator roller so it's nice and even. We then de-mask before it drys so there is no problem with edges being damaged later. Job done!

Like Griff says, the key to a long lasting job is preparation. Everything sanded properly to get good adhesion and nice and clean. Proper primer and undercoats when needed and don't forget there are etch primers available as well. Your paint supplier will advise.

What is already on it? I was told at some distant past moment, (2 years ago) that International and Blakes don't go over each other happily.

On our little boarding plank. I mixed some silver sand into the last coat of varnish, works a treat but I don't know that I would risk it on a precious deck.

Sandtex, yes we tried it. It is awful to keep clean, we moor under an oak tree and I will be repainting the lower decks because they look filthy. Cabin top, protected by a (ruined ) cover are daisy fresh. 

I am finishing a replacement cover ASAP so my only problem now is how to protect it from the flipping tree sap.grrr

Griff, sounds good but it would double the value of the boat.

JA and Polly, the deck already has the anti-slip areas painted, I don't know what with or how it was done.

The bathing platform is the worst and while it is out of the water I thought of filling some of the small cracks and painting it white, like I left the model of Zimbi.

The biggest problem I have is Jill likes the idea so backing out of it is not a viable option!

Polly, it looks like being Epifanes then, the cost between them is no a lot.

thanks to all.

paul