Early This Year

ChrisB

I have just had my first feed, this season, of Norfolk grown asparagus. I don't think I have had it this early before, though Northern Italy and Switzerland are into their third week of the season. 

I do hope that the cold snap forecast for the next couple of days does not ruin my annual treat as I only indulge in the local stuff when in season, the supermarket bunches from Peru just are not the same.

• Like 5

My parents had three big asparagus beds on the island in Thorpe. Served as a starter, on their own, in a dish of melted butter. Memorable!

They say that asparagus is bad for osteo-arthritis, but I keep loving it, and take the pills if necessary!

• Like 1

Is it true that asparagus causes issues such has been mentioned here? We eat a lot of it all year round (don't mind the foreign stuff it's o.k. if you're selective) I' ve never heard of it having arthritic effects before or gout come to that . I thought the latter was due to a surfeit of good living! ( or something like that!)

Carole

I don't think we eat enough of it to worry about it. And only buy the English stuff. 

In fact first bunch last night. And a good price from Morrisons. Not normally a fan of theirs but spotted it at the weekend. Lovely with some fish and new pots.

Now we haven't mentioned the Asparsgus wee syndrome that doesn't affect everyone apparently.:bow

What they call gout, may not be! It is more likely to be rheumatoid arthritis. I used to get attacks of osteo arthritis in my toes and heels, as I damaged them doing gymnastics at school, and when it happens, it can be completely crippling. The doctor said it was gout, as my father used to have gout. In the end, I had a blood test while I was actually having an attack, and that proved that it wasn't gout.

It is all to do with uric acid in the blood, they say, and I take pills to ward it off but I find asparagus makes no difference at all. Neither does red wine, luckily!

• Like 4

I suffer from gout, was diagnosed about 10 years ago at 35.  My wife thought it was hilarious and was giggling while I hobbled through the doctors reception!!  I started on Allopurinol a couple of years ago and it stopped dead.

Fellow sufferers will know how excruciatingly painful it can be.  Some people believe it's the male equivalent of pain to childbirth!!  

• Like 3

I was first diagnosed about a week before a trip to Portugal.  The GP clearly noticed the look of horror on my face as he told me not to eat various things ,especially sardines and to avoid red wine, and particularly Port.  He thought it hugely funny when I told him of my holiday plans. :cry

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

I don't think we eat enough of it to worry about it. And only buy the English stuff. 

In fact first bunch last night. And a good price from Morrisons. Not normally a fan of theirs but spotted it at the weekend. Lovely with some fish and new pots.

Now we haven't mentioned the Asparsgus wee syndrome that doesn't affect everyone apparently.:bow

I wasn't going to mention that, wasn't sure it was that widely known. Strangely don't remember this  being an issue when we were younger. So have to wonder if it's something that occurs later in life. Incidently my father who had a language all his own always called it Sparrers a**e

Carole

• Like 2

My Mum pretty much controlled her rheumatoid arthritis by excluding certain foods from her diet.  Since her early 60s she has tried to avoid eating the following:

meat - beef lamb and pork (apparently pork is the worst )

anything acidic - vinegar, red wine, most fruits including tomatoes.  She can get away with eating the odd banana or ripe though.  The occasional glass of white wine is supposed to be okay but my Mum didn't drink much anyway. 

dairy products

A bit drastic I grant, but she kept pretty mobile and active without medication until getting Parkinson's in her late 80s, whereas my Gran was crippled with arthritis from he mid-60s.  It definitely worked for Mum as she had a couple of spells of excruciating pain when she ate something she wasn't supposed to, the worst being when she ate something with vinegar in it. It took her a month to get over that. 

Helen