Question For You Sailors

Wyndham

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's an inconsiderate sailing boat owner that allows that to happen. Almost on a par with inconsiderate motorboat owners running their engines at moorings! We really shouldn't have to endure either annoyance.

Please explain what cause that noise,

As a non sailor it is actually a lovely sound.. of peace and tranquillity.  

Love hearing it but wouldn't want to spend a night with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's an inconsiderate sailing boat owner that allows that to happen. Almost on a par with inconsiderate motorboat owners running their engines at moorings! We really shouldn't have to endure either annoyance.

Be careful JM yes inconsiderate sailors again :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

I moored in a marina in Poole Harbour in the late 70's so you are talking 40 years now. If you failed to "frap" your halyards the marina staff would fit a nice pair of shockcord ties with plastic balls on the end to stop any mast tapping.

You would receive an invoice for £50 which was a lot more money then.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wyndham said:

Please explain what cause that noise,

As a non sailor it is actually a lovely sound.. of peace and tranquillity.  

Love hearing it but wouldn't want to spend a night with it.

It is normally the halyards against the mast. In other words the bit of string that pulls up the sails and is then made fast normally to a cleat on the bottom of the mast.

I can tell you it is not peacefull in a marina if it is blowing and you have 100 yachts doing it or live near a sailing club dinghy park.

• Like 1

I really didn't realise this clinking was avoidable, I thought all yachts with metal masts did it! (I know I'm showing my ignorance here, calling them metal masts.). I seem to hear the noise wherever I am and there are yachts moored and it is a bit windy. It doesn't annoy me though, all part and parcel of Broads life to me. Even overnight. Now I know why it happens, I can go and suggest the yachtsman 'fraps his halyards'! :default_norty:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

All the yachts moored at the Windermere Marina Village used to clank away when we had a holiday cottage there, maybe they were only part time sailors:8_laughing:

Regards

Alan

They were clanking away this morning when I was there ..

total laziness on yacht owners behalf

• Like 1