How To Go Under Wroxham Bridge After The Pilot Goes Home

DAVIDH

Maybe it's just my natural positive outlook on life, but I watched that thinking, what a good job.The helmsman showed decent enough skill, positioning the boat on approach, bringing it to a stop, holding it in the stream, lining it up etc. OK, he let the stern swing a little to far to starboard, but we are not all experts. Then letting the crew "leg it" under the bridge, perhaps they were more used to the canals, legging forty tons of narrow boat through a mile or two of tunnel. I don't think getting under Wroxham Bridge is quite in that league. 

I rather liked the video. OK, breaking the rules and therefore not something I would do (because I haven't got the balls!) but it does rather remind one of the times before pilots when people had to negotiate the bridge themselves, before the world was taken over by the nanny state.

• Like 5

I believe that the Wroxham pilot is required for and only for boats supplied by yards that are on the pilots list. The pilot will not take hire boats not on his list nor private boats through irrespective of requests. 

The potter heigham pilot is available to all though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1