Mobile Phone Network

I've recently returned to living in the UK after 25+ odd years living and working in Africa,the mid and far east. The UAE excepted, for most of the time the plumbing, the toilets and the electricity did not work, yet the mobile phone network did work, well certainly better than it does in Norfolk. Norfolk is flat and I thought that made it easy for a mobile network to work, if I am wrong on that assumption I am positive there is someone on the NBN that can put me right.

My question here is is that we are not given a "discounted rate" from the mobile networks in recognition of the inferior service provided, as we pay the same price as those who are provided with a fully functioning network, so why is nothing done, no customer pressure? Is there anything in the UK like the "Class Action Law Suit" in the United States?   

EE seems to be investing in infrastructure in Norfolk.
We used to stay at Waxham a lot and used an EE mifi device. In a couple of years it went from a weak 3G signal to strong 4G.
But I’m on O2 and that’s truly rubbish in Norfolk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use an overseas phone/SIM on roam that is seeks out the best signal, then connects to that network; even that does not work well for most of the time. Quite frankly they are all as bad as each other.

7 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

How can you eat any beans when you have bought two empty tins? 

Can I be allowed an edit on the basis that I would actually purchase the tins of beans full and then eat the beans? 

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

EE seems to be investing in infrastructure in Norfolk.
We used to stay at Waxham a lot and used an EE mifi device. In a couple of years it went from a weak 3G signal to strong 4G.

But does EE od O2 say: "we are really sorry that our service in Norfolk is well below what we advertise"?  

But does EE od O2 say: "we are really sorry that our service in Norfolk is well below what we advertise"?  

Not that I’m aware of. But I’ve never seen them advertise any guaranteed coverage in rural areas either. Perhaps I missed it.

You know what, I love the fact you can’t get a phone signal on the Broads, takes me back to the good old days.

i know it’s the modern world and all that, 

i just love that there is still even in this day and age of technology somewhere stuck in the 1970’s

on a recent trip I didn’t get a phone signal for two whole days, my wife hates the no signal thing

her argument is, what if someone needs to get hold of us ?

my reply,  sod em, we can’t do a lot traveling at 4mph :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JohnK said:

Strange because I'm on O2 as well and I haven't had a problem at all. I had phone signal and 4G, occasionally 3G, mobile data connection everywhere we went on the northern Broads. When we're in Lowestoft and surrounding areas I also always have a good signal. Sometimes I have wondered whether it's just the network or the phone as well that plays a part. Mine's an iPhone 5 and I don't really want to upgrade it because it does work so well.

• Like 1

Strange because I'm on O2 as well and I haven't had a problem at all. I had phone signal and 4G, occasionally 3G, mobile data connection everywhere we went on the northern Broads. When we're in Lowestoft and surrounding areas I also always have a good signal. Sometimes I have wondered whether it's just the network or the phone as well that plays a part. Mine's an iPhone 5 and I don't really want to upgrade it because it does work so well.

That’s interesting thank you.
I’m talking more about the coastal areas to be fair.
We will be spending more time on and around the Broads soon so perhaps I should stick with O2 for now.

• Like 1

My husband was with EE and he changed to 3 but he hasn't found either one to be as reliable as my O2 connection.

I like O2 as a company (mostly) but EE does seem to have the best overall coverage if survey reports are to be believed.
I also had to take EE to the ombudsman a few years ago to recover £1200 roaming charges for six hours in Hong Kong airport! So I’m not keen to go back (even though the mi-fi stuff has worked well).
I think you’ve convinced me.

• Like 1

We are both with Tesco Mobile which uses the O2 network. No major problems anywhere on the Broads, one or two ‘lazy’ spots but a shift of position normally sorts that. I have given up taking my iPad and mobile hotspot with me now having invested in an iPhone 6s which does all I need it to. Signals have improved vastly over the last few years. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, marshman said:

So no mobile signal? Try broadband next! Even 5 miles from Norwich I cannot easily use Iplayer!!

I feel your pain, the small downland village I live in used to be terrible, however in July we got fibre, I’m now hitting 74mb pretty much all the time, the difference is staggering. I do know it took many years of lobbying BT to do it though