A Winters Tale

I totally agree Jay, I love it all too, even the new cut. I remember leaving it a tad late along the cut and managing to squeeze in at the Ferry Inn just before sunset, having kittens springs to mind lol

Oh and by the way I do not snore and I'm not a bitch :default_norty:

Grace

• Haha 4

Seeing as I needed refreshments and facilities (No really I didn't want a sexy assisant helm) and the dog kept staring at me, it appeared we needed to stop. 

So Polkeys Mill it was with the adjusted walk due to the works going on.

There were deer running around us during the walk, brilliant sight, unfortunately by the time I got my phone out to take a photo, they had run into the reeds. The first picture shows (Very poory) a deer just to the right of the footpath if you can make it out but it was the best I got (sorry) I am not expecting a phone call to replace David Attenborough's cameraman any time soon :default_dry:

I console myself with the shot of the Swans walking on ice over the reeds, streeeeeeeeetch 

20171217_111310.jpg

20171217_111327.jpg

20171217_111625.jpg

20171217_112107.jpg

18 minutes ago, Lulu said:

The water is so still. Its calming just looking at the photos.  Im really wanting to spend New Year on our boat. These photos make it even more tempting

Lulu, I am sure I shall mention shortly about still water (NOT) but get yourself out there this new year, it is wonderful.

And enjoy.

And the numerous posts will hopefully be deleted shortly :facepalm:

16 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I totally agree Jay, I love it all too, even the new cut. I remember leaving it a tad late along the cut and managing to squeeze in at the Ferry Inn just before sunset, having kittens springs to mind lol

Oh and by the way I do not snore and I'm not a bitch :default_norty:

Grace

Having kittens would surely mean your a ***** cat....and therefore unable to be a bitch...

I would never call you a bitch anyway, you are however welcome to come snore beside me any time you like....although I would hope it wasn't because I had bored you.... :default_smiley-angelic002:

Ok. Where was I? 

I have to admit, I was taking very random photos now just to show you all 'something' so apologies. I had decided BTW by now to head to Burgh Castle and go look around the site. However due to the uncertainty when I got there about whether the whole moorings were supposed to be closed or just halt of them I moved on.

I did read (I think it was) Ricardos thread whilst underway after passing but thought I would press on nevertheless to St Olaves.

Some of the photos? Don't ask me why!!!

20171217_122214.jpg

20171217_122714.jpg

20171217_122826.jpg

20171217_122834.jpg

20171217_122907.jpg

20171217_122924.jpg

20171217_122941.jpg

20171217_123026.jpg

20171217_123538.jpg

20171217_124327.jpg

You know those people who plan their routes around the tides. Well I'm not one of them, I make a route up as I go along.

Sometimes though, you gotta accept they may have it correct. 

Going against the tide from Berney Arms to St Olaves took around 2 hours.

So my view for the next few hours was....

20171217_130601.jpg

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Loving all your photos. What an amazing day. That's definitely the best way to do the New Cut - on your own!

Ahh thank you SwanR you are very kind.

The new cut was different today without any other boats to how it was yesterday when we had the massive congestion :default_biggrin:

And finally St Olaves moorings appeared and were gloriously empty.

Dog walks and relaxation beckons :default_drinks:

(Oh and watching my red boys win and Scrooge like every year since God was a lad)

:default_xmas2:

The last picture I apologise for the camera flash on the window but the ducks appeared right outside and I tried my best to get a shot 

20171217_142132.jpg

20171217_150852.jpg

20171217_150859.jpg

20171217_150902.jpg

20171217_161816.jpg

A much warmer beautiful morning here at St Olaves. I'm a little undecided where to head today. I can't get under the bridge until after dinner but heading back up towards Yarmouth means fighting the tide again. :default_blink:

20171218_082531.jpg

20171218_082539.jpg

Thanks Colin

I headed back up towards Yarmouth in the end. Burgh castle and Berney arms moorings have topped the bank though.

I'm hoping Reedham Bridge is passable or it's the New Cut......again :default_biggrin:

Never mind Lulu, I bet you finish on Friday. I'm sure it won't be long before your on the water again.

Hi Jay, def best choice, it's 2hr past HW at Thorpe and only dropped a few inches. 

Reedham bridge should open if they are not frozen up. We have always cleared the bridge when close to HW and we need 8' with everything folded.

Mind you, by this time I bet your through. Have a great holiday.

Colin:default_winko:

p.s. Just done the Christmas shop:default_crying1animated:back home and just testing a bottle. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

Im not jealous or anything sat behind my desk at work :P

Sorry Lulu, if it's any consolation my shifts mean nights Christmas day and boxing day. 

58 minutes ago, Islander said:

Never mind Lulu, I bet you finish on Friday. I'm sure it won't be long before your on the water again.

Hi Jay, def best choice, it's 2hr past HW at Thorpe and only dropped a few inches. 

Reedham bridge should open if they are not frozen up. We have always cleared the bridge when close to HW and we need 8' with everything folded.

Mind you, by this time I bet your through. Have a great holiday.

Colin:default_winko:

p.s. Just done the Christmas shop:default_crying1animated:back home and just testing a bottle. 

I certainly am through, and shall be testing a bottle or two of my own shortly :default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

7 hours ago, Jayfire said:

I headed back up towards Yarmouth in the end. Burgh castle and Berney arms moorings have topped the bank though.

I'm hoping Reedham Bridge is passable or it's the New Cut......again :default_biggrin:

I had visions of you going round in an endless loop! :facepalm:

• Haha 2

It did cross my mind SwanR :default_biggrin:

Monday 18th December

So decision made I headed up the Waveney back up to the Berney Arms in lovely sunshine. As mentioned earlier water levels were very high, clearance under St Olaves at around 9.30 was 6 foot 9 and the water was still coming in.

An uneventful but enjoyable journey suddenly provided a shock which I'm still trying to recover from.

A couple of minutes before I reached the New Cut and Reedham junction without any warning whatsoever I encountered....... wait for it....... A boat.

I know, on a river, worse if all it was occupied with those worst kinds of people. You know those who don't want to wave, but are so insistent on not waving their head becomes completely immovable and they completely refuse to accept another person is nearby. Oh well.

20171218_092816.jpg

20171218_092825.jpg

20171218_093636.jpg

20171218_093650.jpg

20171218_094156.jpg

20171218_101032.jpg

Reedham Bridge was almost 9 foot when I arrived which gave me a good 11 inches to play with :default_smiley-angelic002: 

Passed through Reedham and the chain ferry which had just crossed perfectly for me to pass immediately. As we reached Hardley Cross the dog was staring up at me so it was time for a stop and walk along the footpath alongside the River Chet.

20171218_112531.jpg

20171218_112910.jpg

20171218_115352.jpg