Broads History Video

grendel

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Great film,not a life jacket in sight and many going for a dip in the broad.Liked the shopping list,don' think many would want most of it now.

But in those days people knew how to look out for themselves no such thing as nanny state or blame culture.

If you made a judgement mistake you accepted that you had been a idiot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Seeing the Victorian ladies in their dresses with voluminous bustles in the early parts of this film made me think...I wouldn’t want to fall in wearing that! You’d sink in no time!

Helen

Wouldn't the bustle absorb so much water the river would end up only being about 2 inch deep?

4 hours ago, Broads01 said:

the lifting bridge at the end of the New Cut.

Ah the lifting bridge at Haddiscoe. Cycled over that a few times, I used to have a paper round on Saturdays and Sundays Used to do St Olaves, Herringfleet and Haddiscoe finishing at the station cottages. And I was the princely age of 7 when I started it. The round was my brothers but he was 10 years older than me and he was then working at Matthes bakery 6 days a week and fancied a lie in on a Sunday. Used to meet loads of the stars from the summer season at Yarmouth, they used to stay in the big houses up Herringfleet road near St Olaves.

• Like 1