All Phones Say National Park

JohnK

This is a very much tongue in cheek post and not meant to offend anyone.

If you have a propensity for anger or stress and think the Broads shouldn’t ever be called a National Park in any context probably best you stop reading now

I’ve just noticed that both Apple maps and Google maps call the Broads a National Park.

So in all likelihood your phone which you bought is telling you the Broads is a National Park.

When you’re in the Broads your device that you handed over your hard earned cash for thinks you’re in a National Park and is telling other people you’re in a National Park.

How does this make you feel?

Did you write angry letters to Google and Apple? Did they respond.

At least with most modern phones having voice recognition you can tell the phone in the angriest possible terms it isn’t a National Park.

If you’ve read this and are now going to post that I’m a trouble maker, doing Google and Apple a disservice please don’t bother, it’s a joke. Maybe not a good one but it made me chuckle when I saw the maps.

• Sad 1

I can’t speak for the BA (or anyone else) but it did make me smile.
Mainly because I can see some of you spitting your coffee out and shouting at your phone

Hopefully this is with the TOS but I think some of this is like the split within some religions. We almost all agree on almost everything about the Broads. But a very few things cause a big divide. Let’s hope we’re a bit more adult than some religious zealots.
We’re better together

• Like 2

Naughty John putting this is as a joke...albeit it works for me :default_biggrin:

I can laugh at my side of the debate too.
I do realise how absolutely ridiculous I’ll look if JM et al are right and how much back peddling and apologising I’ll have to do.
But I know I’m right so that’ll never happen .... or will it?

As with all mechanical and electronic objects the don't have a brain of their own and have to be told to do something by someone ( also without a brain ) what to do .

As Grendel says its marketing that's all .

As the old saying goes " it says OXO on the side of a bus but it doesn't mean it goes there " 

strangely, on my computer google maps does not show it as a national park, maybe your household is infected with the 'National Park bug', we can see its affected both you and your phone (and maybe an apple device too). :default_biggrin:

perhaps quarantine is in order before it gets passed on.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, batrabill said:

No I don’t. I think you keep suggesting (specifically on Facebook) that I have some professional connection with the BA. I do not. You are barking up a non-existent tree. 

I really cannot see the purpose of this whole topic. Now we have Facebook in the mix. 

Andrew

John, I'm afraid I don't understand the joke, nor why you've posted. The NP subject has been debated to death on here and very recently as well. Let's just respect opinions and drop it now. 

I thought it was amusing.
Some other people thought it was amusing.
Some people still seem happy to debate the issue.
Isn’t that enough?

The mods / owners can of course delete / hide / lock the thread if they choose to. There wouldn’t be a complaint from me.

There are lots of things I don’t find amusing on here and that I don’t want to debate. So I don’t.

John, I've no problem with your blindingly obscure sense of humour! Nor did I read your thread as trying to reignite a tired, if not thoroughly exhausted topic. Not sure what sort of answer you were expecting though. 

The funny thing about it, for me, is that the phone maps include land way outside the Broads executive area as being part of the great BNP fraud! I have questioned the Campaign for National Parks and at first the answer was that the park area coincided with the executive area. I then pointed out that Norwich has been quoted as the ONLY city within a national park and that Norwich is actually outside the BA's executive area. Their answer was that the Wensum ran through the City and as the river was a part of the Broads then the City was therefore within in the faux BNP area. I responded by asking if that really was the case then was Ringland, Taverham and Aylesham also in the BNP? I haven't had a reply to that one, now that has amused me!

John, I've no problem with your blindingly obscure sense of humour! Nor did I read your thread as trying to reignite a tired, if not thoroughly exhausted topic. Not sure what sort of answer you were expecting though. 
The funny thing about it, for me, is that the phone maps include land way outside the Broads executive area as being part of the great BNP fraud! I have questioned the Campaign for National Parks and at first the answer was that the park area coincided with the executive area. I then pointed out that Norwich has been quoted as the ONLY city within a national park and that Norwich is actually outside the BA's executive area. Their answer was that the Wensum ran through the City and as the river was a part of the Broads then the City was therefore within in the faux BNP area. I responded by asking if that really was the case then was Ringland, Taverham and Aylesham also in the BNP? I haven't had a reply to that one, now that has amused me!

I appreciate that JM thank you.
I was expecting (and hoping for) a little light hearted abuse as I got off grendal, Ricardo etc.
What I wasn’t expecting (although perhaps I should have done) was the sense of humour failure by some other people.
Maybe I won’t burn my NBN pennant after all
You might like this if you like irony but I really wish you wouldn’t use the BNP tag
I’d assume the BA don’t dictate what area they’re responsible for or indeed pass that information to mapping companies. Nor would I expect marketing companies to. But who does? The government? Formally?
Does the BA area of responsibility have to even align with what the government says is the area of the [insert non inflammatory term here]? Couldn’t the area be defined as an AONB or whatever and the BA are responsible for an area within that? I know that’s not how full NPs work but should it here?
You might have shot yourself in the foot by trying to make the two aligned

I might tell Google and Apple all of England is to be known as the Duchy of JohnK going forward

BNP it is, sorry, but I don't much like the taste of industrial strength, carbolic mouthwash!

Haha
If I were the BA I’d make everyone agree to them using the term before they’d allow you to take out a toll
Or put the term on registration marks
Hours of fun.

Just now, JohnK said:

Haha
If I were the BA I’d make everyone agree to them using the term before they’d allow you to take out a toll emoji57.png
Or put the term on registration marks emoji3.png
Hours of fun.

Perhaps when the BA runs out of numbers then they will increase the letters used from one to three. JP's kayak will then carry a new registration, namely BNP1.

There's an all electric 4X4 parked up near Beccles, with flat batteries and oversized BNP1 index numbers.