Star Gem

newbs2215

Welcome.

We had Star Gem 1 as our second boat, after the Alpha Shooting Star.  (The same design but starting from Brundall).  A long time ago!

Both front steer boats, which for us got a bit of getting used to.  The back had a mind of its own for a while.

From memory, well maintained, good for all bridges at the time.   Safe for the dog.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Graham and welcome.

Have not hired Star Gem but did hire Pearl Horizon about 12 years ago. Both boats are very similar.

We found Pearl to be a very comfortable and spacious boat for the two of us.

It was the first my wife had been on the broads and she has been back every year since.

The one thing I would mention is Mind your head as you go through the rear door. It seems  very easy to bang it on the top of the frame , but once you've done that you will make sure not to do it again !!       It bl**dy hurts !!!!!

Take care and enjoy

Jeff

• Haha 1

SueH. We hired Shooting Star from Alpha Craft in the early eighties. A nice boat and my first front steering boat. At that time Langford Gillings Snr had two young sub contract boat builders working for him and as part of the package he let them build Shooting Star. One of them I believe was called Ian Willgress. It was hired out under the Alpha Craft banner through Hoseasons but Langford told me they got the hire income. When we returned the boat we had to wait for a separate cheque from them for the diesel refund.