Bilge Pump Overrunning All Of A Sudden....why?

Hi fellow boaters.....looking for some advice....our bilge pump has all of a sudden started to overrun slightly ie once the water has finished being pumped out, rather than stopping (as it used to do), it now carry’s on for a little longer....why / what would cause this to happen??

Thanks in advance for any insightful help.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Slightly sticking or maybe wear in the pivot. Another possibility is something catching the float as it returns or maybe debris in the way. If its one of those awful built in automatic items then you may not be able to get to the float to clean / service it.

• Like 1

Our bilge pumps are fitted in stainless trays, it is just a case of removing the jubilee clip and pulling apart the bullet connections and the unit can be lifted out for inspection/repair. 

On our last allocation I had to replace one of the bullet connections because it was corroded.

My guess it like the other comets is that you may need a new float switch.

Regards

Alan