Lady Emma

coolcat

Ros and I have taken charge of our new boat 'Lady Emma' last Friday and brought her back from NYA Brundall to Acle.

She had spent her previous life living in Whitby Bay so we needed to get the BSS done. Once again Tim Waters has provided excellent service and she is now ready to grace the Norfolk Broads.

45284441171_0b83b8d709_b.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

31534725228_bedeae3def_b.jpgLady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

• Like 10

Cracking looking boat and well capable of a few decent salty trips I would guess, the east coast has some lovely places to go, a couple of recommended reads are 'east coast pilot' and 'crossing the thames estuary' both written and updated by east coast sailors and full of invaluble info, just remember they are writing for a 5' keel with sail so a mobo can stretch the advised times quite well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Cracking looking boat and well capable of a few decent salty trips I would guess, the east coast has some lovely places to go, a couple of recommended reads are 'east coast pilot' and 'crossing the thames estuary' both written and updated by east coast sailors and full of invaluble info, just remember they are writing for a 5' keel with sail so a mobo can stretch the advised times quite well.

Thanks,

I'll be sure to check those books out . 

I will be checking out doing some cruises in company to start my salty adventures off. 

I'm thinking that taking the RYA Day Skipper course would be very prudent as well.

I have to admit to seeing  the nya cruises and thinking 'cruises with carers' :default_icon_twisted: I think they almost put you off going out alone.

The day skipper course is well worth doing, we've only done the theory part but it puts you in good stead and lets you realise that you don't know enough which is far better than going out thinking you know it all, when we did it we were going out of kings lynn with a 7 knot boat so everything was a full tide away with no boltholes so day skipper didn't really cover it but the experience was fantastic.

Southwold is a great place to get yourself into it as with a fold down you should get the skilso under haven bridge at half tide or less and southwold is all tide as long as you go in at 310 degrees (ish) and hug the north bank once past the knuckle till past the lifeboat station, with good planning orford is lovely but you will have to use a swinging mooring or anchor so you need a tender, deben is a gorgeous river but you need to time the bar well (same with orford) and woodbridge is a pretty town with plenty of pubs.

Look forward to seeing you out there next season, prepare to see your fuel bills rocket....

• Like 1