Pastures New

addicted

We're going by car, Not really bothered how good the beer is or not neither of us  is what you would call a beer drinker Tony will probably have a half pint of the one on offer with the lowest alcohol content as he's the driver and  l'l lhave a large white wine. Will report on the evening tomorrow.

Carole

3 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I suppose the White Horse (at Neatishead i presume?) is great, providing you can get a mooring at the staithe, or the very least "Gaye`s staithe", but then with a fair walk?. 

The walk from Gaye's staithe didn't seem too far. And there is a place on the way selling home made fudge with an honesty box.

Mind you, we were just pleased to have been rescued from our little lack-of-steering incident.

• Like 2

No possibility  of needing a mooring as with 12' width and12.6" height we had no chance of going by boat.. We went by car a really quick journey and the food was excellent. If we had a criticism it was that the menu was was rather small. However they were very obliging and left the batter off the only fish dish on offer. It was haddock and very good Tony had the meat pie and pronounced it to be absolutely lovely so all in all it was a success.

Carole

9 minutes ago, addicted said:

No possibility  of needing a mooring as with 12' width and12.6" height we had no chance of going by boat.. We went by car a really quick journey and the food was excellent. If we had a criticism it was that the menu was was rather small. However they were very obliging and left the batter off the only fish dish on offer. It was haddock and very good Tony had the meat pie and pronounced it to be absolutely lovely so all in all it was a success.

Carole

I don’t think I have ever read what I would really call a poor review of the White Horse so they’ve certainly got it right. The Lion at Thurne has the same owners so that would be within a reasonable distance for you by car too, I don’t know if it has the same menu though. (Google would tell us!) 

8 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I'd say the quality of food is more important than menu size, so long as there is some variety.

I have no knowledge of catering but I've always assumed that a small menu lets them concentrate on making what they do have on the menu really good.

That makes very good sense. I do wonder about pubs with large menus, I think I would rather see a smallish but varied choice rather than ‘something of everything’. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kron said:

We went to Liberty's in Wroxham on Thursday. Not cheap but both food and service was excellent. 

That’s a step in the right direction for them, the reviews around a year or so ago were pretty dire. They clearly took on board all the criticisms, changed the name of the place and started afresh. Good for them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I'd say the quality of food is more important than menu size, so long as there is some variety.

I have no knowledge of catering but I've always assumed that a small menu lets them concentrate on making what they do have on the menu really good.

Totally agree. 

I'm no fan of Gordon Ramsey, but his programme from years ago about food from hell (or whatever it was called?) had a restaurant really struggling, and had about 80 or more dishes on the menu, and the food quality was very poor. After his input, they cut the menu to about 12 dishes, including starters and deserts, and the quality shot up because they had a lot more time for preparation cooking, and service. 

• Like 2