Pastures New

addicted

After 10 seasons  at Brundall Bay marina we decided we needed a change of scenery and have moved our permanent mooring to Ferry marina at Horning. Saturday 13th was the best day for us  to get the air draught  we needed to get under the bridges at Yarmouth.  With us being 12'6" high we need to take down the canopy, radar arch etc. and crossing Breydon water in inclement weather is not much fun I can assure you. But it was O.K. on Saturday a bit overcast and breezy but nothing too dire. Taking our time we berthed in Ferry  marina 5 hours 50mins after leaving our berth in  Brundall Bay. We've vey much enjoyed our years in  Brundall but have had a hankering to try the  Northern Broads for some time but  it was a case of finding a berth that met our criteria  which until this year we have never managed to do. We realise we have arrived just as the holidays are beginning making everywhere super busy which  may come as a bit of a shock after the  relative quietness of the Southern Broads but Heigh-Ho nothing ventured nothing gained.

Carole

• Like 8

16 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Carole,

We were glad to leave Ferry Marina which we used to moor at, we have far better facilities at Brundall IMHO.

Regards

Alan 

Hi Alan, Having only just arrived at Ferry I can't really comment on your observation as the jury is still out, however, we have  no complaints about Brundall whatsoever and hope to find things similar  at Ferry. Have to say our experience so far is very positive.

Carole

17 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Carole,

We were glad to leave Ferry Marina which we used to moor at, we have far better facilities at Brundall IMHO.

Regards

Alan 

I remember when we had our share in Breeze.  We found getting to Ferry Marina a real pain, parking was awkward and we were moored next door to a metal 'bomber' with a pointy beam with a large anchor attached.  Getting in and out was really tight.   We sold up in 2005.   

Getting back into syndicate ownership on Moonlight Shadow in 2011 we found Brundall far easier to get to.   We sold up a second time in 2018!

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Hi Alan, Having only just arrived at Ferry I can't really comment on your observation as the jury is still out, however, we have  no complaints about Brundall whatsoever and hope to find things similar  at Ferry. Have to say our experience so far is very positive.

Carole

If I had to moor at Horning, I think I would opt for the Richardson's private mooring over the wall from Boulters.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SueH said:

I remember when we had our share in Breeze.  We found getting to Ferry Marina a real pain, parking was awkward and we were moored next door to a metal 'bomber' with a pointy beam with a large anchor attached.  Getting in and out was really tight.   We sold up in 2005.   

Getting back into syndicate ownership on Moonlight Shadow in 2011 we found Brundall far easier to get to.   We sold up a second time in 2018!

We're still working out the best route having only made one journey home,  but each time we've been so far we've managed to park our car exactly behind out boat.  A lot  less distance to carry all the stuff aboard than we had on our Brundall mooring.  Manoeuvring is a little tighter than we had at Brundall admittedly ,but we  had a good look at the situation before choosing the mooring we settled for,  having looked  into all the pros and cons. We have only brought the boat in once thus far and had no difficulty  although it could prove tricky in windy conditions but then that applies wherever you are so hopefully it will prove manageable long term. If at the end of the season we find we are not liking it we'll return to Brundall

Carole

I think we are moored virtually opposite you. We haven’t had any issues. It’s been lovely and quiet, the facilities are perfectly adequate, the Ferry Inn is very handy!  we haven’t had trouble parking so far and the staff are lovely including the staff at NYA who are so helpful.  And there’s a resident heron who I’ve named Stanley 

Looking forward to meeting you! 

I've watched several of Dave Whitworth's vlogs on YouTube, and in one of them, he has a lot of trouble getting Silver Cloud into their mooring due to other boats in the way. They look like they're jammed into a corner, and if Richardson have any boats moored in front of the shed, they have trouble getting moored up. We had to move Lightning because Brooms wanted our mooring, and the one ahead of ours for the big boats in their hire fleet. Our current mooring is not as convenient, and at low tide she's considerably lower than the Quay heading. That's why I slipped and tore the ligaments in my knee. On top of that, several others have injured themselves, so I'd like to shift our mooring to a more convenient location, still in Brooms though. Before shifting a mooring, it's worth doing a lot of research for things like operational issues (vital for syndicate use), ease of access, facilities etc etc etc.  It's all too easy to say the grass is greener elsewhere, but then later on, you find the pitfalls far out way the benefits. Act in haste, repent at leisure I think is the expression. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brundallNavy said:

Having just moved my boat to Horning we find it an excellent location for choice of destinations if just down for a weekend. 

Exactly why we chose Horning as we are limited to weekends 

• 2 weeks later...

We have just spent our first week on our new mooring on Ferry Marina and have no complaints at all. We found our water tap ran so slowly it took  5 hours to fill our tank but a  mention in the office and a new tap was fitted a day or so later pretty good service  I think.  We have managed to park our car immediately to the rear of the boat each time we leave the marina to  get  papers etc. so no problems there.  True the extra journey is a bit of a pain but I think it'll be worth it. The cruising is very beautiful and very interesting. We spent a night moored at the quiet moorings Potter Heigham, the howling wind and spectacular thunder storm made for an interesting night. Out with the torch at 4.00am to check the mooring spikes were holding their own, noticed the chap in the boat behind doing likewise, all was well no need to fret.  On the whole it was a lovely week and we're looking to our return next weekend .

Carole

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, addicted said:

We have just spent our first week on our new mooring on Ferry Marina and have no complaints at all. We found our water tap ran so slowly it took  5 hours to fill our tank but a  mention in the office and a new tap was fitted a day or so later pretty good service  I think.  We have managed to park our car immediately to the rear of the boat each time we leave the marina to  get  papers etc. so no problems there.  True the extra journey is a bit of a pain but I think it'll be worth it. The cruising is very beautiful and very interesting. We spent a night moored at the quiet moorings Potter Heigham, the howling wind and spectacular thunder storm made for an interesting night. Out with the torch at 4.00am to check the mooring spikes were holding their own, noticed the chap in the boat behind doing likewise, all was well no need to fret.  On the whole it was a lovely week and we're looking to our return next weekend .

Carole

Hi Carole,

What are the marina facilities like, i` know you  have water, but what about 240, Fuel, toilets and showers etc?.

On 16/07/2019 at 19:48, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I've watched several of Dave Whitworth's vlogs on YouTube, and in one of them, he has a lot of trouble getting Silver Cloud into their mooring due to other boats in the way. They look like they're jammed into a corner, and if Richardson have any boats moored in front of the shed, they have trouble getting moored up. We had to move Lightning because Brooms wanted our mooring, and the one ahead of ours for the big boats in their hire fleet. Our current mooring is not as convenient, and at low tide she's considerably lower than the Quay heading. That's why I slipped and tore the ligaments in my knee. On top of that, several others have injured themselves, so I'd like to shift our mooring to a more convenient location, still in Brooms though. Before shifting a mooring, it's worth doing a lot of research for things like operational issues (vital for syndicate use), ease of access, facilities etc etc etc.  It's all too easy to say the grass is greener elsewhere, but then later on, you find the pitfalls far out way the benefits. Act in haste, repent at leisure I think is the expression. 

Putting my chairmans hat on, the problem you mention with Dave getting Silver Cloud back in has been brought to the attention of the yard via BCBM. Dave indecently incidentally is on the Broads this week so expect a new video shortly.

Fred

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've been on our new location for a month and so far we have been very pleased with our choice of marina.  What we have found a little disappointing is the quality of the local eating establishments.  The Ferry Inn is o.k. depending on what you order. The carvery is as carveries usually are - hit and miss.  I suppose to sum it up the quality of the food does not warrant the cost. The New Inn was dreadful -  an experience never to be repeated. The Swan was very nice but such small portions,  my cod loin was delicious but the size of a small fish finger, which made it very poor value, whereas Tony's steak was very good We were always very happy with the fare offered at The Yare and are hoping to find something offering similar quality and cost within a reasonable distance. We went to the pub in Ludham last Saturday (The King's Arms?) which  we have used several times over the years when moored at Womak Water and while my meal  was delicious Tony's was disappointing- a tiny lamb shank  with a spoonful of gravy set on top of an enormous pile of mashed potato - not ideal. The search continues.

Carole

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, addicted said:

The New Inn was dreadful -  an experience never to be repeated. 

Interesting comment on the New Inn. We had a similar experience last year but as it usually gets good comments put it down to them having a bad day but it has put us off trying again.

I'm told the Bure River Cottage Restaurant is excellent although expensive and needs booking well in advance. We like one 'posh' meal during our stays but for some reason, even though we are moored in Horning we have never been.

Fred

• Like 1

Well, we've been on our new location for a month and so far we have been very pleased with our choice of marina.  What we have found a little disappointing is the quality of the local eating establishments.  The Ferry Inn is o.k. depending on what you order. The carvery is as carveries usually are - hit and miss.  I suppose to sum it up the quality of the food does not warrant the cost. The New Inn was dreadful -  an experience never to be repeated. The Swan was very nice but such small portions,  my cod loin was delicious but the size of a small fish finger, which made it very poor value, whereas Tony's steak was very good We were always very happy with the fare offered at The Yare and are hoping to find something offering similar quality and cost within a reasonable distance. We went to the pub in Ludham last Saturday (The King's Arms?) which  we have used several times over the years when moored at Womak Water and while my meal  was delicious Tony's was disappointing- a tiny lamb shank  with a spoonful of gravy set on top of an enormous pile of mashed potato - not ideal. The search continues.
Carole

Nothing there I would disagree with!

The Bure River Cottage is very nice but hardly pub prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 1