Finding Water In Winter

YnysMon

Not the stuff around the boat! :default_blink:

Can anyone advise where you can fill your tanks in the deep winter months? I’ve read on various threads that some places, like Reedham and Norwich, turn off the supply in winter. Our second jaunt on Moonlight Shadow will be the second week of February, and we’ll be confined to the Southern Broads due to the tide and not wanting to try night navigation until we are a lot more familiar with the boat.

thanks

Helen

Hi Helen.  Our first proper trip on MS was in February this year.  Broom usually turn off the tap at the mooring from November to March, but there is one available, either by the fuel pump, or the boat lift.  There is a hose at The Ferry House, free to patrons and there are electric posts there too.  We went to Beccles Yacht Station, Oulton Broad Yacht Station and Loddon.  Electric hook up is included in the mooring fees at the yacht stations, so we took a small fan heater, didn’t use the heating on the boat and made full use of the hook up.  The rivers were quiet and seeing The Broads in a different season and different light was really enjoyable

597AAB0F-1815-4488-81B6-5A577687879F.jpeg

• Like 6

Yes, we`ve cruised on Lightning in November, and will be on her in March next year for the first time. We`ve never had a problem at Loddon, and at WRC re water, can`t say about Beccles or Oulton Broad, though i would imagine you can still fill up and pump out at Hippersons (Beccles, opposite the yacht station). Brooms does have a hose at  the fuel quay. It may be possible to fill up at some of the marina`s, but it`s worth a phone call to ask first.

• Like 2

Yeh, we’ve got one of those too. Found it really handy overnight when we were on our last couple of early spring/autumn visits on hire boats. So we’ll certainly be taking that with us.

A couple of weeks ago Graham bought a small generator from Aldi, as we’ve discovered wild moorings on the northern Broads. Don’t suppose there are many of those down south due to the tidal range. Would be good to know if there are though!

10 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

In the winter we have an oil filled radiator on board so if we are in hook up it’s snug as a bug , otherwise we do have diesel heating but we can set a timer on the radiator , they’re very cheap and obviously silent 

Yes, we have two of those, but only small ones, and even they hammer the living daylights out of an electricity card. They`are good, but they are seriously expensive to run. The upside is as you say, they are nice and quiet.

• Like 1

I think the one we have is fairly low power, it’s not toasty but it does keep the chill off overnight. Didn’t seem to use that much power off the posts we were using anyway. Unless my memory has gone, I think we were okay overnight with less than 50p ‘inherited’ on a post.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

. . . . . . . So does the boat’s heating not draw upon shore power...hence the fan heater?

The heater works off the batteries and shore power when connected, but given the short days and long nights, coupled with potentially chilly weather, the heating is likely to be on longer.  If  you connect to shore power, it will save the batteries and the heating shouldn't shut down if the batteries run down.  If you pay for shore power at the yacht station, why burn diesel when you've paid for electricity?  The alternative to a fan heater would be an oil filled radiator, of course, but we had a fan heater, so took it with us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Yeh, we’ve got one of those too. Found it really handy overnight when we were on our last couple of early spring/autumn visits on hire boats. So we’ll certainly be taking that with us.

A couple of weeks ago Graham bought a small generator from Aldi, as we’ve discovered wild moorings on the northern Broads. Don’t suppose there are many of those down south due to the tidal range. Would be good to know if there are though!

There are`nt any proper wild moorings (to a river bank), but there are several nice moorings away from civilisation. Langley dyke, Short dyke (the southern most heading to Rockland), North Cove on the Waveney, The mooring in Oulton Dyke just before the bend into the Broad.  There`s another on the Waveney between North Cove and Beccles on the North bank. I think there`s also one on the north bank of the Yare, between Reedham and the Berney arms. Also, Berney arms and Wind pump. They`re all quay headed, but probably none with water.

• Thanks 1

Well, perhaps I should have given it a different title...like ‘advice on winter cruising’. 

It’s all welcome advice!

oh boy...like Grendel (:default_coat:) this evening I’m having huge problems with auto-correct on my tablet. It keeps entering gobbledygook which I keep having to re-type. 

:default_badday:

Bit late catching up with this, I think most points have been covered though. No problem with water - Reedham has the standpipes still on but remove the hoses. as mentioned just take your own, a short length will do as the moorings are usually empty! Oulton Broad YS has water (I think just on the pontoons) Goodchilds, Brooms (I think), Ranworth on all year, Simpsons, Horning marina services (ask nicely) Faircraft Loynes - Sutton Boatyard (I think) Ludham Bridge, Herbert Woods, Boulters - there's probably more. We've probably done 20 weeks of winter cruising at least and never had a problem with water. Can't really comment on heating - we've only ever used the boat heating and again never had any issues. Double quilts are a good idea though. Just flick the heating on in a morning and the boat soon warms through by the time the kettle has boiled. On a well maintained boat the heating should run without the engine. It is worth putting in a few cruising hours in winter though to keep the batteries topped up.

Its a magical time to be out - I'm sure you'll be hooked!

• Like 2

Brilliant! Thanks guys. Useful to have info about Northern Broads too, as I’m sure we’ll eventually manage to get up there in winter.

By the way Mr Nog, Mrs Nog’s accounts of the chocolates at The Ferry Inn Stokesby has made me think a visit there is essential! Not sure we’ll find a mooring there last week in August though!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I should add...our first ever week on Moonlight Shadow will be the August Bank Holiday week, then our second will be in February.

Good grief. That will be a contrast!! Mind you, the last time I went in August (a long time ago) there were a lot more hire boats. Just look out for the 'honey pot' moorings and you'll be fine.

February is brill. Done it every year for 11 years now and loved every minute.

PS the Ferry chocs are yummy (well so says Mrs Nog)

• Like 1

Must admit that I don’t tend to eat much chocolate or sugary things nowadays. So when I do, I notice I get a bit of a craving. I reckon sugar is far more addictive than most of us realise.

Still, really good quality chocs are worth it.

• Like 1