Canoes

Andrewcook

A few weeks ago a friend of mine with a few others went to Geldeston for Camping and Kayak Canoeing from Friday till Sunday.  When they went on the River Waveney near Geldeston Lock in their Canoe there is a Speed Limited of 3 MPH yet some Idiot did not obey  the Speed Limit as the Canoeist  Nearly had their Canoes filling up with water they just don't care  of what they are doing. As my Friends of mine are going up there again over the Bank Holiday Weekend coming up very soon can there be a River Inspector patrols  that stretches or some other devices  to catch theses  Culprits  for theses Canoeists can have a leisurely time on the River Waveney. When I go on the Norfolk Broads  I obey  the Rules with Sailing Boats and Canoeist also Moored up Cruisers. What do Forum Members opinions  on the Subject?

Yours Andrew Cook  

Sadly there will always be a number of helms that do not keep to speed limits. Some because they do not care that they may be inconveniencing others and some because they just have no idea what speed they are doing and never look at their wash. The rangers have their areas to patrol and clearly can’t be everywhere at once, there are too few of them. The only thing I can suggest is that, if a boat really causes problems to canoeists or kayakers, the name of the boat and registration number is reported to the BA as soon as possible. Make sure your friends have the Broads Control telephone number 01603 756056 handy. 

• Like 6

I can fully understand that.  I have a small boat Shetland 535 and the hull shape produces quite a wake even at 2 mph.

I can only advise the canoeist (is that a word?) to turn into the wake if you have to. I know it's not the answer but for safety.....

Last month I had the same problem, I turned to hit the wake of another boat head on and my bow was 4 feet in the air! This was on the River Tamar, so nearly the Sea!            I have shared the water with boats considerably bigger than mine!

Below...The sea lock at Sutton Harbour, Plymouth.

P1010069.JPG

There does seem to be bit of speed feast on at the moment, I'm wondering when I'm going to get the leaflet because I thought the top speed is 6mph on the broads?!  The ranger boat on the Ant was safety tucked away in her cabin this morning so it's hardly a surprise. It does seem that no one gets that it's wash first then speed but I guess it's always been the same.

We've hit the wash of some boats in the canoe and it's been OK so far, it can be difficult to get the boat positioned as such though and it becomes a pain if you panic and both lean the wrong way so you kinda do just need to ride it out and hope for the best.. thankfully its not too hard to get away from other boats (I'm certainly a big fan of low bridges now :) )

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

There does seem to be bit of speed feast on at the moment, I'm wondering when I'm going to get the leaflet because I thought the top speed is 6mph on the broads?!  The ranger boat on the Ant was safety tucked away in her cabin this morning so it's hardly a surprise. It does seem that no one gets that it's wash first then speed but I guess it's always been the same.

I think part of the problem is that a speed limit is easy to keep to, at least if you have a GPS speedometer on your boat or phone.

But it's less obvious what your wash should, or shouldn't, be doing.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:32, vanessan said:

The rangers have their areas to patrol and clearly can’t be everywhere at once,  

Every time I see the word "Rangers" I do have an internal laugh! Whether it be park, town or the broads, I visualise a 5ft 4 person in uniform with a note book. :default_biggrin: