Chinese Heaters

Cockatoo

I'm not sure I'd be overly confident putting one of these in a boat which needs a BSC (and then full insurance cover), saying that I wouldn't put one in any boat just yet, although they seem to be doing OK and I am following closely on things like youtube (certainly as they have just released a wet version), I still would only trust to heat a shed of a van. It would be interesting to see what the BSC or a marine surveyor would say though, let us know when that happens.  Can I just suggest (with no malice etc) that you have a little world with Tom at JPC in brundall, (he will be straight and honest), just for his advice to see if it's as safe as it can be.  I have heard these do run hot(ter) and are heavy drinkers (and poor internal heating mesh) compared to the oringinals.

Regards the pumps, a couple of boats I know of,  have had problems with pumps which are lower than the fuel tanks due to siphoning, basically overfuels and depending on the model throws an error and stops it starting.. Simple fix though put a swanneck in, bringing the pipe above the tank then back down. (Again though Tom at JPC is a legend with helping with installation tips).  

• Like 2

I think the BSS more covers the installation rather than the actual item, however if the heater is not CE marked then I wonder how the insurance would view things if it caught fire?

It is noticeable that the Chinese heaters available in this country via authorised UK based dealers and service agents are much more expensive than those purchased direct from China? Off course most of the UK dealers substitute all the poor quality installation parts with CE marked superior components, bumping up the overall price.

It's also worth noting that you will not find them installed in any new craft as the lack of proper CE marking affects the RCD certification for new craft.

Far too many cheap Chinese electrical items such as LED bulbs and chargers have a habit of catching fire. They are cheep for a reason, poor quality components. Not sure I'd trust one on my boat yet, and if I did I'd probably buy via a UK dealer with public liability insurance in case it all goes wrong. I'd be particularly weary of fitting any kind of remote start up timer, WiFi or data connection which could enable the heater to come on unattended.

Finally be aware that a number of these heaters have fake CE markings, the CE standing for China Export, rather than the more usual EU CE marking.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Bit of an update:

So far the heater has been running for 1,384 hours and used 269L of fuel and to be honest if it packed up now I would think I got my moneys worth. But it hasn't so I am going to swap it for my spare one in the near future and give it a service, new glow plug (a good quality one rather than Chinese), atomiser screen and a good clean out. I know that when I first got it the fuel:air ratio was a bit rich so there is probably a bit of carbon build up. All in all it is going to cost about £40 in parts, including new gaskets for re-assembly,  and then this one will be my spare for next winter.

Steve

• Like 4

Mine used around 140L between January & March running for around 6hrs per night when it was cold on the settings it came with. It cost me around £100 for the basic kit then £100 or so for the upgraded marine use silencer, extra ducting and lagging. So if it packs up anytime then a replacement is £100 and 30 minutes to swop out.

There is a company in Lanark which openly says it buys from China but then claims to use their own software and upgraded parts allowing them to be fitted on boats and give a 2yr warranty - At a price!

To anybody thinking of going this route mine is a so called 5kw model in a 37 x 12ft single level boat with 4 outlets and it is just about ok for a boat like mine and somebody who doesn`t turn in until midnight plus I do feel the cold more than most people. Anything over 37ft I would advise fitting two.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

On 21/12/2019 at 09:30, JawsOrca said:

Regards the pumps, a couple of boats I know of,  have had problems with pumps which are lower than the fuel tanks due to siphoning, basically overfuels and depending on the model throws an error and stops it starting.. Simple fix though put a swanneck in, bringing the pipe above the tank then back down. (Again though Tom at JPC is a legend with helping with installation tips).  

I wonder if this could be the problem with our heater, its an (old) Eberspächer and cuts out after a couple or three minutes throwing up a fuel starvation code, the boat fuel tank was apparently  replaced last year.

John.

18 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Mine used around 140L between January & March running for around 6hrs per night when it was cold on the settings it came with. It cost me around £100 for the basic kit then £100 or so for the upgraded marine use silencer, extra ducting and lagging. So if it packs up anytime then a replacement is £100 and 30 minutes to swop out.

There is a company in Lanark which openly says it buys from China but then claims to use their own software and upgraded parts allowing them to be fitted on boats and give a 2yr warranty - At a price!

To anybody thinking of going this route mine is a so called 5kw model in a 37 x 12ft single level boat with 4 outlets and it is just about ok for a boat like mine and somebody who doesn`t turn in until midnight plus I do feel the cold more than most people. Anything over 37ft I would advise fitting two.

Hope that helps.

The company in Scotland has a bad name for installation though :(

I have a brother who is in the middle of building a mobile home has just bought a new Chinese heater. 8kw with all the trimmings £90. Worked perfectly for testing but now it keeps coming up with error code 06. Has anybody come across this? Sorry I’m only third party and have no diagnostic material. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

6 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

I have a brother who is in the middle of building a mobile home has just bought a new Chinese heater. 8kw with all the trimmings £90. Worked perfectly for testing but now it keeps coming up with error code 06. Has anybody come across this? Sorry I’m only third party and have no diagnostic material. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Check for a loose wire.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jemaki said:

I wonder if this could be the problem with our heater, its an (old) Eberspächer and cuts out after a couple or three minutes throwing up a fuel starvation code, the boat fuel tank was apparently  replaced last year.

John.

The Eberspacher on Norfolk Lady didn’t work when we bought her last year.  Paul, at our home marina, didn’t take long to work out that the pump was trying to pull the fuel too far from the fuel tank, so moved it.  It is now mounted close to the tank and pushes the fuel to the heater, which has worked correctly since.

It would obviously be worth checking to see that the pump is is drawing fuel correctly and getting it to the heater before replacing it.

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

The Eberspacher on Norfolk Lady didn’t work when we bought her last year.  Paul, at our home marina, didn’t take long to work out that the pump was trying to pull the fuel too far from the fuel tank, so moved it.  It is now mounted close to the tank and pushes the fuel to the heater, which has worked correctly since.

It would obviously be worth checking to see that the pump is is drawing fuel correctly and getting it to the heater before replacing it.

This is true, the pumps push far better than they pull.

• 11 months later...

Hi to everyone I've just installed one of these heaters in my defender 110 amazing heat had to rebuild it as it's one with it's own diesel tank attached. And when delivered had been dropped from a high height. But am wondering if the led screen is meant to be on all the time? It turns it self of from running when I use the key fob or turn of from unit but a little worried it's going to be a drain on my leasure battery. I'm using 2 one for start up and other runs everything else.