Where To Self-isolate, If You Had A Choice ?

52 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Looks absolutely wonderful. I have always wanted to stay there and experience the atmosphere.

I love Torcross.. we used to stay at The Greyhomes Hotel at the top of the high ground. It had the most wonderful views over the Lea. We became quite friendly with Howard the owner as we stayed year after year. Because of the work involved and his young family he decided some years ago to convert the hotel into luxury holiday lets as he already had a number of bungalows in the grounds. I keep saying I must go back. Near there I love having a coffee at the beach cafe at Blackpool. This is the view from Greyhomes.

20200413_100243.thumb.jpg.f9e75d90f4fb472c98ab14b7b6573e67.jpg

Hello Chris,

Is that picture taken many years ago? I can not see the see the parking area's at the side of the beach where the Memorial should be, if the Sherman tank is in the left hand and car-park it is not noticeable. As you may be well aware there are two pubs/restaurants side by side. One is the Star Bay Inn, I can't remember the other one name, both have similar menus, but the Start Bay Inn is packed every day from opening and the other gets just a few people in. If you like fish this is the place for you. 

The complete area was evacuated prior to the practising of the D-Day Landings, you will be well aware of the tragic loss of American lives when their landing craft were attacked by a U-Boat, The Sherman Tank recovered was placed in the left hand car-park as a memorial. Over the years we have encountered many Americans or their families returning to the area.

Regards

Alan     

Reminds me of the time when I surprised the wife on her 50th with a weekend on the 4 star Sunborn Yacht in the Ocean Village in Gibraltar, a floating hotel which was a tad expensive but she's worth it... :default_biggrin:

gibraltar-TT-May-Gibraltar-.jpg

43 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Chris,

Is that picture taken many years ago? I can not see the see the parking area's at the side of the beach where the Memorial should be, if the Sherman tank is in the left hand and car-park it is not noticeable. As you may be well aware there are two pubs/restaurants side by side. One is the Star Bay Inn, I can't remember the other one name, both have similar menus, but the Start Bay Inn is packed every day from opening and the other gets just a few people in. If you like fish this is the place for you. 

The complete area was evacuated prior to the practising of the D-Day Landings, you will be well aware of the tragic loss of American lives when their landing craft were attacked by a U-Boat, The Sherman Tank recovered was placed in the left hand car-park as a memorial. Over the years we have encountered many Americans or their families returning to the area.

Regards

Alan     

I took it off Greyhomes site Alan. My last pics from there are pre-digital. The Tank was there when we used to stay there. Yes we have run the gaunlet and been packed in for fish & Chips at the Start Bay. Nearby The Tower at Slapton and The Cricketers at Beasands are very good for dinner. When Greyhomes was a hotel in the days we stayed there the restaurant only opened Monday and Wednesday so you had to go out. I should try to go back someday.

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Chris,

Regards

Alan     

You have got me going Alan,

Been in the archive cupboard. I can't believe it was 2003 since we were last there.

These three pictures were taken from our bedroom window. The monument along the beach was definately there but it can't be seen on these either but the tank is clearly visible. 

Greyhomes has a one bedroom flat that I think I will book if we are ever allowed to drive distance again.

The pictures are not the best, they are from one of the last Kodak systems with selectable lens angle width. I have scanned them with my phone.

20200413_131157.thumb.jpg.5f73e429fb4688ec2ca27dc2a0cabd71.jpg

20200413_131721.thumb.jpg.ee79fcf9eae40f1b24712da511e419ed.jpg

20200413_131733.thumb.jpg.919e636f6d4e9a770f1237dfc927e157.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Went to the chemist on Saturday, it's right next to a bottle bank, the pile of dumped/fly tipped rubbish was enormous!  Our local tip is closed, the green bin collection suspended and people have time on their hands, the result is inevitable I'm afraid. 

Similar over here I'm afraid to say.

The local authorities have an "app" for reporting fly tipping so I sent them a nice photo of piles of
packing material (clearly commercial) plus a mower, a sofa & old paint tins.  The app reports
the location via GPS...