Where To Self-isolate, If You Had A Choice ?

It's beautiful here in the Lakes, we were walking above the village yesterday overlooking the Lowther valley and we have Ullswater which is only 10 minutes from us, we moved here from Manchester 35yrs ago because we love the Lakes but our heart has always been on the Broads (plus our legs aren't what they were and the fells are steep!), as mentioned in another thread we bought an Alpha Craft 34 just before lockdown which is moored near Stalham, that would have been our base whilst we looked for a property to buy nearby, we shall wait patiently whilst the epedemic passes and hope, please God, that the mortality rate drops soon and rapidly.

John.

Shap.jpg

Ullswater.jpg

7 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I would always choose Hope Cove in Devon even over the Broads.

Regards 

Alan

Have to say Hope Cove is a lovely place, we went in the Pub there, is it The Hope & Anchor?

27 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Ah, his garden shed.

If I sold my house here in France, I could probably afford that . . . .

The shed is special to us but in reality, as a shed, it's nothing special, just that facing West we do get spectacular sunsets, as you do here on the Broads. Problem, at the moment, is that the mooring is cluttered up with vintage, mothballed Broads memorabilia which I fear will force the price down! Don't know why but Oulton Broad waterside properties have long been expensive, Horning is catching up though. My neighbour but one has just gone for a cool million and the mooring is absolutely nothing to write home about, you can put a dinghy alongside. I'm just fortunate, my house was given us as a wedding present but I have spent a pound or three on it since, as well as buying more land to extend the garden when the kids were small. No, Vaughan, you may not have it for for what I paid.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I want to be at the bottom of Peter's  (JM ) garden. Just a small shed will do.:default_biggrin:

The 'privvy' is in a 5X3 detached shed, been thinking of putting that on AirB&B. If you don't mind sleeping perched on the bog then perhaps a deal is possible! 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

You'll be able to take up the bagpipes then! Long way from the Pleasure Boat though.

We were in the Pleasureboat a couple of days before lockdown and group of locals came in carrying strange instruments a few of which I could not name!, they went into the back room and began playing, I think, folk music, I have to say after the fourth pint we started to enjoy it....:default_drink_2::default_eusa_dance::468_violin:

1 hour ago, Jemaki said:

We were in the Pleasureboat a couple of days before lockdown and group of locals came in carrying strange instruments a few of which I could not name!, they went into the back room and began playing, I think, folk music, I have to say after the fourth pint we started to enjoy it....:default_drink_2::default_eusa_dance::468_violin:

I'll pass your appreciation on to those involved!!:default_beerchug:

3 hours ago, Jemaki said:

Have to say Hope Cove is a lovely place, we went in the Pub there, is it The Hope & Anchor?

Hello Jemaki,

Yes the pub is the Hope & Anchor, there is a couple of eateries & bars but the other pub which used to painted pink was the Lobster Pot is now flats. Did you look at the pods that you can sit in to eat or have a drink in? Quite modern for Hope Cove. The Hope and Anchor and the Cottage Hotel have both got some great sea view bedrooms.

I’m normally critical of Mrs T for not making her mind up however not being that well travelled this has got me thumbing through “ Rollocks to Alton Towers Uncommonly British Days Out” for ideas so here goes with the possibilities. Sealand would keep cold callers at bay but I can’t fly a helicopter so impractical, a bit closer to home perhaps a houseboat at Covehithe which I liken to a broad next the sea, The Moorings at Hickling which with a balcony broad view and a split oak barrel bar plus a wet boatshed ready for the lifting of lock down.... on reflection probably best where I am now, home sweet home!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

a bit closer to home perhaps a houseboat at Covehithe which I liken to a broad next the sea,

In years gone by I have dried out for the night on the flats at Blythburgh, the joys of a Drascombe. The advantage of that over Benacre or Covehithe is the proximity of a pub, at high water! Covehithe is a magical place, thanks for the reminder. 

For me there's no place like home. We retired to Norfolk 3 years ago, its a 5 minute walk to endless dunes and sandy beaches, we are next to an AONB and SSI. Our boat is a 10/15 minute drive away.

Just here will do me fine 🍺🍺

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

In years gone by I have dried out for the night on the flats at Blythburgh, 

Chuffin Eck.  All night drying out? - How much did you have to drink man?

Griff

5 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's what salt water sailors do, especially on the East Coast. Can't always arrange for the tide to be out when it's convenient though! 

On the other side of "The German Ocean" from Texel in the West to Wangerooge in the East, Drying out to sleep or take shelter behing the string of Islands that make up that incredible barrier coast is an every day occurrence. In fact it is what you do cruising The Wadden. Real life "Riddle of the Sands" stuff.

20200413_060243.thumb.jpg.e4b6449a63ce5275b7154e4a9be62e32.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lulu said:

I agree. There isn’t anywhere else we would rather be.  We also intend to move to Norfolk in two years time although we are now seriously thinking of bringing this forward. 

I think that a lot of people will be looking at life a little differently once we get through this. We feel the same as you. Our need to be in Essex for family changed earlier this year so .... who knows what may be possible now. 

Hi Alan / Jemaki

The hope and anchor is at the moment closed not sure when it reopen this is because of flood damage which happened February I think before the shut down and my friend has said that obviously no work is being carried out at the moment so they have no idea when it will be able to reopen post coronavirus

Susan

yes, i think that this has made a lot of people re-evaluate their priorities, and look at things in a different way, things that were put off because we cant afford it right now, or we dont have the time, or just because we cant be bothered right now, are suddenly being looked at with the attitude of if i dont do it now, i might never get around to it. for me i havent had time - with work and all that - to tidy up after my ex's departure and get rid of some of the stuff neither of us want or will ever use, i now have a pile in the back garden big enough to fill a skip, and i am slowly starting to recover lost space in the house (well the conservatory at the moment, but the house will follow now i have started.

working from home now, and not spending 3 hours a day travelling i have suddenly found i have the energy to do an hour or two tidying after work, time that would have been spent travelling. and the bank holiday has given me 4 clear days to work on the conservatory, 

• Like 2

I rather suspect that when Car Boot Sales recommence they will be hugely popular, with people who have de-cluttered!  Personally I shall avoid the temptation and steer clear of such sales.

Went to the chemist on Saturday, it's right next to a bottle bank, the pile of dumped/fly tipped rubbish was enormous!  Our local tip is closed, the green bin collection suspended and people have time on their hands, the result is inevitable I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ChrisB said:

As we are talking South Devon and if you had very deep pockets! How about taking over the whole of The Burgh Island Hotel. All for myself none of you are welcome.

20200412_172621.thumb.png.cfcde33d8137b8f10da9bd2cea573e1f.png

Hello Chris,

As part of our 25th anniversary, Tan & I spent a week in Devon that year spending a night or two in a number of places in the South Hams. 

I had said to Tan just pack a bag we are taking a week off, I had arranged with the guest houses, pubs and hotels and the visit without letting Tan know any of the details. Our first two nights were in  a small guest house on the service road at Slapton Sands (Torcross) the bedroom overlooked the pebbled beach, if you were a fisherman you could have cast out into the sea. We spent a night in the Sloop Inn at Bantham. Our anniversary night was staying at the hotel on Burgh Island; very nice too. I had taken Tan into Plymouth to buy a dress for the occasion, but again I didn't tell her what it was for. We spent the next night in a Hotel in Dartmouth overlooking the river and the final two nights in the Cottage  Hotel in Hope Cove.

Happy times to be remembered.

Regards

Alan

DSC00243.JPG

DSC00238.JPG

DSC00236.JPG

DSC00246.JPG

DSC00252.JPG

DSC00274.JPG

DSC00288.JPG

DSC00292.JPG

DSC00294.JPG

DSC00295.JPG

DSC00323.JPG

DSC00325.JPG

• Like 12

Looks absolutely wonderful. I have always wanted to stay there and experience the atmosphere.

I love Torcross.. we used to stay at The Greyhomes Hotel at the top of the high ground. It had the most wonderful views over the Lea. We became quite friendly with Howard the owner as we stayed year after year. Because of the work involved and his young family he decided some years ago to convert the hotel into luxury holiday lets as he already had a number of bungalows in the grounds. I keep saying I must go back. Near there I love having a coffee at the beach cafe at Blackpool. This is the view from Greyhomes.

20200413_100243.thumb.jpg.f9e75d90f4fb472c98ab14b7b6573e67.jpg

• Like 1