My Story

I'm quite a private man really in some things. But during these diffiçult times amongst other health issues which my wife and I have been subjected is that of COPD. Together with other problems. Which has placed us on the priority vulnerable list. The joys of growing old.

It is bowel cancer aware month. Is if you haven't got enough to worry about. 

Please take time to read my story.

I'm good by the way.

Andrew

https://fundraise.big-c.co.uk/news/andrews-story/

Take care all of you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 3

Thank you for sharing your story Andrew, it's not an easy thing to do but I'm firmly of the opinion that every time some one like yourself steps up to tell their experience it helps countless others who perhaps are at the beginning of a similar journey.

Stay well 👍

• Like 5

In 2016 I spent a total of 96 days sitting with my terminally ill wife in the Mulbarton Ward and other areas of the NNUH  acute Oncology department. 

Looking back now, four years later the two places where I found respite from the stress of watching Judith, my closest for 50 years and wife of 45 losing  her battle was firstly "The Big C"  a haven of support and escape just 100 yards from the doors of the Oncology Department and for me ( and this is purely personal ) The Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts. Which is also a quiet Oasis just a short walk across the University of EA. Playing fields.

Unfortunately Judith was too ill to benefit from the Big C centre at ÑNUH but as a drop in centre for me to find 30 minutes respite it got me to go back to her bedside in much better shape to support her.

Thank you for sharing your journey Andrew.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

What is starting  to be very worrying is, A&E visits have dropped Theres many people it appears are afraid to check unrelated Corona  virus issues with Doctors and or A&E.This could lead to many people having very serious health problems and Deaths. My friend who is fighting cancer for over a year.Has had some of he's treatment postponed. 

Its important if we don't feel right,theres something that's not normal  get it checked.Its a real possibility that more people could die unnecessarily, because some are afraid to get symptoms checked out.

Andrew and Chris I feel for you both and wish you well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

The symptoms of bowel cancer are often mild, a niggly upset stomach, tiredness, irregular and regular (very) bowel movements, if in doubt get checked, bowel cancer is the second biggest killer in the cancer world, don't just think its old age or diet, get checked.Leave it to long and it will do its evil work quietly and without you knowing for a long time, making inroads to other organs like liver and lungs, treatment works better on early diagnosis, no shame in getting checked if things don't quite seem right, don't be "a man' and ignore it.

Left to long the only treatment is chemotherapy, that's the time to be "a man" its vile! get checked, don't leave it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Please read again Victorvy comment. I have escaped death from this cancer due to early intervention. ,(for the time being). Any issues, any doubts or fears please pm me. I am not a doctor. I have been invited on more than one occasion to meet with trainee doctors at the University here in Norwich to discuss issues as part of their training. 

I will not advise you. I am not medical qualified. But I know a man who is. It may be peace of mind that you seek. He is a qualified cancer nurse of many years experience working for the Big C. 

If anyone of you have concerns I would be pleased to make the introduction. Nothing more nothing less. I would have no further involvement.

Keep safe for your family and yourself.

Andrew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Is there a scarier word than cancer? to most people probably not, but once over the initial shock of a diagnosis there is a job to do, get better or at least as well as you can, cancer affects every bit of your life both mentally and physically, its not your job to fight it, that's the doctors job, its your job to fight the fall out, family and friends need support and reassurance, that is, to a degree your responsibility, you owe it to yourself to do you're bit, exercise and diet, no negative thinking (easier said than done)

A work associate asked me one day " are you still fighting the cancer ?" my reply " no.I am hosting it and politely telling it to f--- off every week" 

It needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1