Wroxham hotel in trouble

Boaters

The Broad House hotel on Wroxham Broad went into administration this week but today's Radio Norfolk stated that all the jobs were to go and that they could not honour future bookings.It is a shame because it was rated highly amongst those that had been there.Lets hope that it will find a buyer soon. :(

http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/ ... t_1_766616

That's a real shame, we have stayed there and as you say of others, we rated it highly, a boutique hotel quite different from the norm in that area. We would certainly have stayed there again without hesitation.

I can understand the problems of running these places and the large overheads and we have been out a couple of times this week and very quiet.Last night four of us went to the Wayford Bridge and had a meal and was in there for two and a half hours we were the only ones eating and I dont think I saw any one other than staff.You can imagine the costs of every thing and they must have felt like going home but were very attentive and we had a good night . cheersbar

May be some light on the horizon as today's EDP states that an interested party is in talks and would carry it on in its same format ,we would hope. :grin:If not we could have a whip round (about 2 million ) and it would make very nice NBN club house as I believe it has some water frontage :grin::grin::grin:

• 4 months later...
The Broads Authority have said they “strongly object to the loss of this unique hotel†but have also said that they could understand if permission is granted, if proof can be given that demand for the hotel is no longer present.

What on earth has it do do with them :roll:

The house is set way back from any water all it has is land that runs down to the Broad.

So a hotel is fine but a private house really is not according to the BA - go figure :shocked

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

What on earth has it do do with them :roll:

The house is set way back from any water all it has is land that runs down to the Broad.

So a hotel is fine but a private house really is not according to the BA - go figure :shocked

I totally aggree Perry. This is just another example of the BA trying to "assume authority and powers" that it simply DOES`NT HAVE. Time for people to start writing to the BA and tell them to mind their own damn buisness and get with dredging the rivers and broads, which by the way IS their buisness.

• 2 weeks later...

My knowledge on this subject is limited but when we were recently looking at a house purchase , we were told that the BA has planning authority over all waterside (not just riverside) properties, so I imagine that includes change of use issues? I may be wrong though!

Shame about the hotel - friends have been there 2 or 3 times and said how lovely it was. We never had the pleasure, nor will we by the looks of it.

Karen

I can understand the problems of running these places and the large overheads and we have been out a couple of times this week and very quiet.Last night four of us went to the Wayford Bridge and had a meal and was in there for two and a half hours we were the only ones eating and I don't think I saw any one other than staff.You can imagine the costs of every thing and they must have felt like going home but were very attentive and we had a good night . cheersbar

Roy and Diane, Good Evening.

Off topic (as usual!) but the Wayford Bridge is about to get a good shaking up...... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

We were talking with Marco a few weeks ago and when he's finished with the Lavenham Angel he intends to start on the Bridge. He is going to (quote) "Turn it into the best Fish Pub in Norfolk"

We await the outcome.................

Whilst I know some of you have a problem in accepting that the BA should do anything other than dredging, there is some sense in the fact that they control planning on all the rivers. Of course your answer will be that that the BA past record on planning is not a good one and you disagree with some of their policies but to be honest does it really make sense to have a large number of District Councils operating slightly differing planning views over different parts of the river?I think it all fairly logical, for what its worth. In similar situations countrywide that has also happened.

On the issue of the hotel and NBYC my guess is it may be something to do with access - although i don't know for certain.