You Couldn't Make It Up!

Doesn't surprise me, most people under 60 seem to know very little about British geography - they've mostly been abroad for their holidays.

Just watch quizzes like the Chase, Eggheads etc and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, webntweb said:

Doesn't surprise me, most people under 60 seem to know very little about British geography - they've mostly been abroad for their holidays.

Personally I find that very insulting. I've had way more holidays in the UK than abroad. That's a sweeping generalisation.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, webntweb said:

11 hours ago, SwanR said:

Personally I find that very insulting. I've had way more holidays in the UK than abroad. That's a sweeping generalisation.

I agree Jean, The game shows only prove that young people are not as knowledgeable as older people. 

What I fail to understand is why anybody should find that fact in the least bit surprising.

We spend our lives making glib statements like "Well you live and learn" and " You learn something new every day" then stand back in amazement when some inane game show proves this to be correct.

Ok, yet another massive generalisation, but then again, while I'm generalising,   Things are.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I know its unusual, but the press sometimes only want to print what they want to hear!

or what is sensational enough to sell papers, they dont want normal, they dont want mundane, they dont want nice / goodwill stories unless they are sensational enough to sell papers- eg Captain Tom.

• Like 2

For many years I was involved in the community. I was Chairman of the Thamesmead Advisory Forum, then a community  Director of Thamesmead Town.Thamesmead suffered from a bad press sadly.Much of which was untrue or quoted out of context. I've seen the press looking for  people that may have a grudge to share.I learnt to keep the press at arms length. 

I was also a member  of the BOV/IMB at Belmarsh prison  for nearly  14 years.Our training always  included  how to speak  with the press.

The press sometimes become the news.Yesterday was a point  in question, clips shown all day.Hords of the press surrounding Dominic Cummings. No Social distancing there.

• Like 1

Of course younger children are less knowledgeable than the old  - well sometimes MM!! And to be honest they know far more about somethings than you are ever likely to know! All those old blokes who can answer questions on WW11 aircraft are of little value these days whilst how to operate a smart phone is pretty endemic amongst  the the young!!

Going back to the OP, it has more to do with how geography is taught these days  - if at all! It has nothing to do with place names on a map that many of my generation excelled at - even A level exams in my day included that!!! But doing quizzes as I do, very very few people of even my advanced age, know much about where is such and such a place is, so don't be too surprised!!