Vat Reduction Is Not Helping

Oddfellow

22 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Ian, I think this may be the norm in a lot of industries. Now that firms have found the ease that working from home for lots of their staff has been. I can foresee lots of one or two day weeks at the office rest of week WAH.

The savings on travel for lots of workers would, quite often pay for the commodities used at home to run the office. Plus more quality time with the family and less stressed workers from the commute.  

savings on office space too, if you have 20 staff in an office and most are working 2 or 3 days a week from home, you can rotate it so you only need  8 or 10 hot desks and a smaller location, so cheaper rent.

Most staff can work using a laptop, so all you need in the office is docking stations, unfortunately for me, my software is one of the few that still runs better on a slightly higher spec desktop or an expensive top of the range gaming type laptop.

a lot of our designers have the standard laptop now, as I know because the requests I get to convert files and do all the processes that CAD really only does well on a desktop are on the rise, if I were moved to a laptop (as they want me to if I return into the office), then we would have nobody to do those specific CAD processes usually involving larger files (40+ Mb)

2 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

Obviously I hope that the customers who have poured (?) out of the boatyards this week will rebook but I do wonder if this reduction will benefit the airlines and ferries more. An awful lot of people "Follow the sun".

I don't think overseas holidays have a VAT element to the customer. Certainly flights don't. It's been a gripe of the green lobby for years. 

31 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I’m reading it in completely the opposite way. Reduce VAT so the consumer pays less, can therefore afford to buy more which boosts demand and stimulates jobs. And also increases profits for businesses to survive. 

30 minutes ago, Poppy said:

That's how it should work. However....

Before this madness, unless family were staying, I would eat out when I had been on a jaunt.

If I had been "Out-of-County" be it North or South and towards evening I would make for the A47 and head for home via Horstead and The Recruiting Sergeant simply because they did a really good Dover Sole for about £24.

If I had been out along the Saltmarsh Coast, and did not feel like cooking that evening, I would go to No1 Cromer for fish and chips about £18.

I just don't see what a £4 reduction is going to do for my demand. Should it be passed on!

MORE type2 diabetes from rubbish fast food could be an unwelcome result?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

savings on office space too, if you have 20 staff in an office and most are working 2 or 3 days a week from home, you can rotate it so you only need  8 or 10 hot desks and a smaller location, so cheaper rent.

To add to that and I am unsure if it was carried out or not, wasn`t there talk of a tax or charge on parking spaces for workers?

Basic food items are indeed zero rated VAT.I understand  people  being reluctant to eat out,for a number of reasons,whither that's for health  or pocket.Indeed as I have said we will be on the boat next week,because  I'm still shielding we won't go to the pub.Otherwise we may well of visited The Whitehorse Chedgrave and the Ferry House surlingham. We do still have to be careful, but the businesses have to restart taking money.My thoughts on working  from home,I don't see it carrying  on long term,what I think may be the case is a mix of home and office.I would say to people please  support  local businesses, shops pubs and restaurants. Many pubs and restaurants  do takeaways .They all need your support. 

• Like 1

I have just had an email originating from the BMF confirming that, and you won't believe this, the VAT reduction for the tourism and leisure industry DOES NOT apply to Boating Holidays. It applies to house boats, but not holidays on self-drive overnight cruisers. 

You couldn't make this up if you tried. 

• Like 1