Hardley Cross

Bluesman54

Hi all firstly I must apologise as I missed out saying Hi to you all before my initial posts, I'm hiring a boat on the Southern broads on the 19th Sept for a week and intend to cruise the North as well, ideally I'm looking to moor overnight at Hardley Cross Staithe before crossing Breydon on the 21st so do any members know if the BA repair works to the staithe have been completed yet, I know I  could possibly moor at Loddon/Pyes Mill, obviously if there's room, hopefully will be a tad quieter now term time has started, allegedly but I don't fancy navigating the twisty River Chet in the early morning 1/2 light of 6.00 am, Reedham would be an option but I'm wary of double mooring there and getting blocked in as LWS times around the weekend of the 19th are quite early, I'm aiming to be moored up around 15.00. I've already messsaged BA but no reply and no updates re' the staithe on their web site either.

Ian

I don’t think they have completed the work, as a week ago there was still a small section taped off with hazard warning strip. However, the majority of the mooring seems to be fine. We moored behind another boat and there was plenty of room for others to moor up too, had they wished to.

The Hardley Mill pontoon moorings are just around the next bend, between Chet Mouth and Cantley. They charge £5, but as the money goes to the upkeep of the mill I do not mind paying. It’s nice because it’s on a pontoon and they also have electric posts.

We will be on Moonlight Shadow from the 19th, so if you spot us, do give us a wave. I’m planning to go north on the 22nd. 

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

Polkey’s Mill and Berney are very handy for ‘the crossing’, but up til now we have preferred being further up river where there’s less of a rise and fall between tides and no need to worry about spring lines and so on. Now that we are getting more confident and experienced boaters maybe a stay at Polkey’s is beckoning. Not somewhere I’d recommend for someone relatively new to the Broads though.

• Like 1

Polkeys Mill is one of my favourite moorings on the Southern Broads.    Every aspect is for safety.   Just as long as you remember to tie your rope to the post on the inner land side of the mooring and not to the posts that are intended during the winter and extremely high tides to keep you from over topping.   Not only do they do that but are handy to hang on to when getting on and off.   I have seen people tie to these outer posts and the rope has gone down the inside and got stuck and as the boat drops with the tide the rope gets tighter and tighter and nothing but nothing will retrieve it other than cutting it,  so be warned tie on the correct posts and save yourself a lot of grief.   Other than that , it is magical, quiet an interesting walk around.     At low tide the wild life is very interesting and have seen a seal up there basking on the side of the river.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Polkeys Mill is one of my favourite moorings on the Southern Broads.    Every aspect is for safety.   Just as long as you remember to tie your rope to the post on the inner land side of the mooring and not to the posts that are intended during the winter and extremely high tides to keep you from over topping.   Not only do they do that but are handy to hang on to when getting on and off.   I have seen people tie to these outer posts and the rope has gone down the inside and got stuck and as the boat drops with the tide the rope gets tighter and tighter and nothing but nothing will retrieve it other than cutting it,  so be warned tie on the correct posts and save yourself a lot of grief.   Other than that , it is magical, quiet an interesting walk around.     At low tide the wild life is very interesting and have seen a seal up there basking on the side of the river.

Excellent tip H. Like.

Hardley Cross is one of my favourites and most suitable for an early run to Breydon without the hassle of using Reedham Quay.

Polkeys and Berney are even better if talking really early start.

I like Hardley Cross as it has great wide open vistas, good circular dog walking and never gets too  busy. There was still a bit taped off a week or so ago on the 24hrs mooring. But right behind there is a long very useable wild bank suitable for rhond anchors if needed.

( like the name Bluesman - do we have another Chelsea fan with us ? )

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluesman54 said:

Hi all firstly I must apologise as I missed out saying Hi to you all before my initial posts, I'm hiring a boat on the Southern broads on the 19th Sept for a week and intend to cruise the North as well, ideally I'm looking to moor overnight at Hardley Cross Staithe before crossing Breydon on the 21st so do any members know if the BA repair works to the staithe have been completed yet, I know I  could possibly moor at Loddon/Pyes Mill, obviously if there's room, hopefully will be a tad quieter now term time has started, allegedly but I don't fancy navigating the twisty River Chet in the early morning 1/2 light of 6.00 am, Reedham would be an option but I'm wary of double mooring there and getting blocked in as LWS times around the weekend of the 19th are quite early, I'm aiming to be moored up around 15.00. I've already messsaged BA but no reply and no updates re' the staithe on their web site either.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you did not get a response from us. If you send me a direct message and let me know who you tried to contact I can follow up and see what happened.

I have just spoken to our Ranger team in the area and the scheduled repairs of the 22m section at our Hardley Cross moorings are still in the works programme, however they are on hold at the moment until some budget issues are resolved. 60 metres of the mooring is still open so there should be plenty of room at that time of the year.

You have had some great suggestions for alternative moorings in this thread from the other posters, however if you want some advice from our Quay Staff when you get here you can contact Reedham on 01493 701867 or Yarmouth Yacht Station on 01493 842794 and they will be happy to help and advise you.

All the best,

Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BroadsAuthority said:

I have just spoken to our Ranger team in the area and the scheduled repairs of the 22m section at our Hardley Cross moorings are still in the works programme, however they are on hold at the moment until some budget issues are resolved. 60 metres of the mooring is still open so there should be plenty of room at that time of the year.

Hi Tom, could you help me with a query re: Hardley Cross moorings? I’ve noticed it’s listed as one of the moorings which have electric post(s), but didn’t see any when I was last there. Is that just an error, or does it indicate that the planned works are to include installation of electric?

thanks

Helen

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hi Tom, could you help me with a query re: Hardley Cross moorings? I’ve noticed it’s listed as one of the moorings which have electric post(s), but didn’t see any when I was last there. Is that just an error, or does it indicate that the planned works are to include installation of electric?

thanks

Helen

I would very much think that they won't be installing electric posts at Haverdley Cross. I think you'll find they can only install them on moorings that have a vehicular road access. So, for example, Somerleyton 24hrs have posts but Herringfleeeet and Oulton Dyke DTG don't. 

I'm sure BA Tom will be along with the definitive answer on this.

there is also the question of having electricity nearby to supply the posts, at the rates we get charged by contractors to lay cables, which comes to thousands for a mere few hundred metres (I once quoted an 1100m trench at over £100,000) if the electric isnt nearby, then it wont be getting it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you did not get a response from us. If you send me a direct message and let me know who you tried to contact I can follow up and see what happened.

You have had some great suggestions for alternative moorings in this thread from the other posters, however if you want some advice from our Quay Staff when you get here you can contact Reedham on 01493 701867 or Yarmouth Yacht Station on 01493 842794 and they will be happy to help and advise you.

All the best,

Tom

Hi Tom 

Thanks for your post, I sent a message via your facebook page, so one way or another my question has been answered so no problem.

Regards Ian

19 hours ago, YnysMon said:

thanks

Helen

Hi Helen, thanks for the question.

There aren't any charging points at Hardley Cross so I am not quite sure how it ended up on our list. I have corrected this now and removed it.

Hardley Cross is unfortunately very remote and it would be difficult and extremely expensive to get the cabling there.

Hope that helps and sorry for the confusion!

Tom

On 09/09/2020 at 11:08, BroadsAuthority said:

There aren't any charging points at Hardley Cross 

Hardley Cross is unfortunately very remote and it would be difficult and extremely expensive to get the cabling there.

Tom

i am not one who wants or needs these electric posts, my boat being pretty much self sufficient and off-grid with solar power despite having the freezer and microwave etc onboard. In fact i avoid the crowded electric post moorings like the plague and is a reason i like Hardley X so much.

What i do question is why it is so unfeasable to not provide this service to those who do want  it or perhaps more importantly need  it for medical equipment needs.

As a civilised society it is surely right that modern advances are available for the benefit of all in that society . Electricity has been around for decades (centuries) since it was invented (discovered) and we have found ways  to get it to many remote locations including across Broads marshlands and meadows for remote dwellings and pumping stations.

I hear the cry it would be just too expensive and who would pay for it and the answer is we all would, in just the same way as we all pay for our street lighting or our cell phone masts and all the other attributes our modern society infrastructure requires. Its what civilisation does.

Not disputing Grendels figures quoted before, but i feel he may be talking about full trenching and hiding the cable work. I would imagine overhead cabling on poles would be cheaper simpler and easier to maintain, and if you think about has been the traditional way and they all seem to blend into the landscape well enough, or at least they have for decades. Also give the birds somewhere to perch on when flocking.

If you look at the area around Hardley the grid must extend to the buildings at the head of Hardley Dyke and from there it is probably just 2 or 3 miles to the Cross moorings.. Should be doable - I think my original guess that lack of vehicular access is more of a barrier to installing the posts.

Talking of remoteness, think of how they manage in countries like USA and Australia when distances and remoteness can be far greater ,  and where there they have to go overland.

As said, I dont personally want it but see the benefits to those who do need it and also to the new generation of hire craft which otherwise are running their engines and generators at all hours.

having just had a look at the records, rthe closest available electric is at Norton Staithe Pumping station, but that is the wrong side of the river Chet, so they wont lay a cable under the river because of dredging, and they wont be allowed to put a cable overhead across the river.

Other than that the next next nearest is Church farm, near the end of Hardley Dyke. Access from here would have to be via the footpath, along hardley dyke, and round the curves of the river, several miles of cable.

Overhead lines would probably be objected to by the planning authority as they would run right along the river bank, also there is great reluctance to installing overhead cables in marshland areas - for example the Berney Arms supply is several miles long of underground cable winding down farm tracks etc, a distance that one must start to suspect whether the volt drop on the cable keeps the supply within the prescribed voltage limits.

The voltage drop would be another issue, any cables run would have to be high voltage with a transformer on the end as otherwise the route would have too high a voltage drop by the time it reached the staithe.

Add the various costs of overcoming these factors, and the numbers soon start piling up, I would be surprised if the answer came in under 5 figures, at a guess I would say at least £250,000.

I can imagine the outcry at such expenditure if the Authority announced that they were putting in electric to a handful of electric posts and spending that amount of the toll payers money to do so. 

As such I think that the chances of putting electricity to the staithe is unreasonably expensive and will never happen (short of some new technology being developed that would allow the electricity to be generated locally to the staithe - tidal flow and energy storage systems maybe?)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

I hear the cry it would be just too expensive and who would pay for it and the answer is we all would,

If you want electricity in a remote area, then you pay for the network from the point of connection, in this case the costs would have to be paid by the Broads Authority, and would be passed on in a corresponding rise to the river tolls. If there is a possible second consumer along the route that also might want electricity, when they connect to the network you have paid for, a pro rata amount is calculated for the construction of part they will be sharing, and this would then be paid back to the original consumer who paid for that network.

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

in this case the costs would have to be paid by the Broads Authority, and would be passed on in a corresponding rise to the river tolls.

Not only is that true, but given the BA's tendency to put "one off" costs on the tolls which are then carried on year on year, I think it a cost too far.

It is a harsh reality that there are some handicaps that just cannot be reasonably catered for. Wheelchair access to the summit of Everest for example.

54 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

What i do question is why it is so unfeasable to not provide this service to those who do want  it or perhaps more importantly need  it for medical equipment needs.

It isn't.

• Like 1