Wroxham Bridge.

MauriceMynah

MM we were based on the Southern Broads.

We were 8ft 6inch with the canopy up.

The low bridges are mainly Thorpe rail bridges and Beccles old bridge.

There are some low bridges in Norwich.

Never tried Beccles but at low water we would have to drop the canopy down 7ft clearance.

The only other bridges causing a problem with the canopy up were Somerleyton or St Olaves but these were passble apart from 2 hours either side of high tide no problem with the canopy down.

The canopy was a pain in the backside so it was seldom lowered and anyway the front part was separate.

paul

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

This year , yet again, we saw a fair few hire boats “stranded” upstream of the bridge , including some Aquafibre 42’s, after high tides and the “wrong wind”.

That would be my worst nightmare if I was hiring. Last year I was temporarily stuck for 4 or 5 hours and that was bad enough. What was the outcome, do you know? Did boatyard staff manage to get the boats through either with the oil drum trick or having lots of people aboard?

The EA have probably waved through a lot of development north of Wroxham bridge, in Aylsham e.g,from which Increased hard surfacing and buildings reduces the available sponge and increases the surface water drainage and outfall requirement. For Ludham bridge link Stalham development, Potter ‘ link Martham. Acle bridge was raised when renewed in the 90s, the Yarmouth bridges will be the next if not final problem for marginal air draft boats. Caister expansion as I understood circa ten years back would not have continued based on current EA thinking... but now is being looked at west of the bypass. Broadland shouldn’t be the overflowing ditch of the Westminster ambition to expand housing provision at any cost in frankly silly places. Otherwise MacCarthy and Stoneham will be a floating retirement househome boatbuilder in years to come, welcome to water world, mobility pedlos etc.

As the water table has risen then so will the river levels ultimately. I’ve seen several private drainage systems fail in the last ten years because there is no suitable overflow opportunity consequent of ditches having been infilled which is the extreme equivalent of not dredging.

Back on topic I would opt for Horning MM, the new shiny noisy electric trains powered by diesel generators at Hoveton will disturb the peace and tranquility you’re used to at Hickling!

You didn't ask me directly but I will give you a direct answer - DON'T be sucked in. There is no way I would move my AF Diamond 35 upstream of the Bridge permanently despite it being only around 6'9" - you can bet your life just when you need to go through, water levels will be too high. No such issues at Horning - nice and quiet over there too! And no marina gates to lock just in case we have another lockdown!!!!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Did boatyard staff manage to get the boats through either with the oil drum trick or having lots of people aboard?

We watched this being done using a number of oil drums filled with water and the boatyard staff being also on board and helming a forward steer cruiser under the bridge ... just! 

• Like 1