Norfolk Resident Looking To Boat Share/syndicate With Another Owner (2-4 Berth Inland Broads Cruiser)

woofnwaves

Dear All,

I am a Norfolk resident who has never owned my own boat, however I do have experience with cruisers on the Broads and I have been researching the possibility of purchasing a boat and the different moorings available for some time. I am aware of the other syndicates on the Broads, but I am looking for a smaller cruiser of 2-4 berth with a permanent mooring with one or possibly two other owners. 

I would like to be hands on with sharing the management and maintenance gaining knowledge from the other owner/s with the advantage of being able to spend more time on the boat than the larger syndicates. 

If you currently own a boat and would be interested in boat sharing/creating a syndicate or have similar ideas and are in the same situation please message me, thank you.

• Like 1

This is purely an academic observation as I don't have any money! 

But if I did it would be a model I would certainly be interested in. A smaller boat as most of the syndicate ones are larger. Also fewer owners to hopefully avoid the draw system and more certainty of getting the time you would like. 

I'll do an extra line on the lottery this weekend! 

• Like 1

If you had never discovered The Pub, Nog!

I bet you could be sat on your own Riva Perseo in Antibes now! 

Me if I had not had a passion for boats and the sea I would be rich! 

Life's little mysteries!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The think I like about being a sole owner is that I can do what I want with it! 

Spot on!

When we was looking to invest, I explored the idea but came to the conclusion that we really could not turn up and go anytime and every decision was a discussion.

And then any accidents......

For my capital outlay it really needs to be out and about when we want to be worth it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The system we have certainly works for us. No draw system and we all manage plenty of time afloat pre Covid of course. Just the four of us so it’s easy to manage 

Griff

But are you not all good friends or family already? In a situation like that its more a case of shared ownership rather than being part of a syndicate, there is a difference. Sharing is good. 

• Like 3

I think the way BA ‘s syndicate is run and operated is almost unique ,and enviable , it runs so well because of the group of likeminded individuals mindset and respect for each other.

If you thinking about heading down a similar route of one two or three fellow owners then I recommend looking at friends and family as co owners before inviting strangers 

• Like 6

Yes, I suppose we are more of the 'Friends' rather than a genuine syndicate although we do have a written structure in place for any eventualities, We even have a dedicated voting system although since we formed oursens back in 2002 we have never had to use it!

There are four owners of 'B.A' but there are five shares. That gives me and Bro' one and a half shares each (Also one and a half votes) that fifth share is available should any like minded friend come along wishing to purchase said share, to date that hasn't happened and we have never really pushed getting it sold although I have offered it to some close forumites in here on the odd occasion

Griff

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I just happened by chance to come across your post about creating a new syndicate and find the idea interesting.  I currently own a small shetland boat that I trailer to the broads occasionally. I have also hired  broads cruisers on eight occasions and my father used to own a 27' cruiser so I have some experience of boating.  I have registered interest with a number of broads syndicates but it does seem that shares rarely become available.  I'm now retired and I've decided that a syndicate would possibly the best and most economic solution for me going forward.  I'm looking for a 4 berth boat with bow thruster to facilitate handing when occasionally boating alone.  Please email me if you wish further information.

Stephen