Price of diesel

Jupes

Actually there is the making of a good debate or petrol diesel vis-a-vis. In the having previously owned a petrol boat the economy isn't so drastically different to diesel as to have deterred me. It did mean that I had to bring fuel but this wasn't really a problem. Oddly having spoken to a Bavaria dealer last year and given the economy of modern gxi / mpi engines and with a nearly £30,000 difference in the price tags, it's not suprising that out of 5 new units sold last year of the new 28 three had petrol engine variations!

£1.10 a litre at Boulters this morning. Sonny says that red -diesel on the Broads is all as was...

ULSD won't be sold as it will affect too many engines

I wonder what Antares_9 will have to say about that?

On a previous thread(viewtopic.php?f=68&t=9413)

I gather he wouldn't believe what I posted.....

Thanks John. cheers

Edited to add link(I hope!)

Actually there is the making of a good debate or petrol diesel vis-a-vis. In the having previously owned a petrol boat the economy isn't so drastically different to diesel as to have deterred me. It did mean that I had to bring fuel but this wasn't really a problem. Oddly having spoken to a Bavaria dealer last year and given the economy of modern gxi / mpi engines and with a nearly £30,000 difference in the price tags, it's not suprising that out of 5 new units sold last year of the new 28 three had petrol engine variations!

You know which side I sit Gav but I do think it depends how you use the boat. I would certainly not be put off buying another twin petrol boat and that is with twin V6 4.3 litre engines in the one we have. Even the dieselheads have had to concede that during the 3 years I have owned her she has cost me no more than a diesel to run, cost a fortune less to buy and has never put a foot wrong on the reliability stakes. No diesel bug either and if the worst happens and an engine does need replacing it will cost about 20% of what a diesel engine would.

I wonder what Antares_9 will have to say about that?

On a previous thread(viewtopic.php?f=68&t=9413)

I gather he wouldn't believe what I posted.....

Thanks John. cheers

Edited to add link(I hope!)

Oh I believed what YOU posted as it was what you were told but as for what Sonny told you, that is another story entirely, like I said he just told you what you wanted to hear. Look at the HMC&R regulations related to inland waterways diesel from 2011. Don't believe me. don't believe Sonny. but believe the LAW. :roll:

I think it depends how you use your ship. Generally Broads based with odd sea foray Petrol is viable. For serious sea work I would not consider Petrol due to range (particularly if forced to displacement speed) and the sheer hassle of finding the stuff.

We are all different but but my boating would have the edge taken off it if I constantly had the hassle of where to tank up and how to transport it.

• 4 weeks later...

makes no odds to me as i run petrol but i have in the past

used house heating oil in diesel cars, google it. .

of course i wouldn't suggest for one moment that you run a boat on it

but it is about half the price of Brooms gold plated diesel.

Rich

Please refrain from making suggestions or even giving information however couched that could lead to members breaking the HMCR laws which could lead to confiscation of their boat, it has happened.

If someone was to run their boat on heating oil in an attempt to defraud HM customs and revenue then it would be totally their own doing should the boat consequently end up confiscated.

Is it really the forums job to police this David? would not a simple "this would not be legal" post be sufficient rather than a reprimand for repeating openly available material?

If the confiscation risk was not sufficient to cause people not to take the chance then maybe the advice that I was given that the lubricants needed to maintain upper engine longevity are not present in Heating Oil would be.

In other words if the tax man doesn't get your money then eventually the engine man will.

A friend of mine buys cooking oil from the supermarket at about 78p a litre and mixes it with diesel in a ratio of about 4-5 litres of oil to a tankful. He is running a Rover with a BMW engine and tells me that at MOT time the tester told him that his emissions were very low and the engine one of the cleanest that they had seen (for the year). His fuel cunsumption figures were a lot better too. Please bear in mind that this information is second hand and I cannot vouch for its authenticity.

Brian J. :shock::shock::wave

FYI

I have on my desk a business card from a petroleum company who may be interested in filling a job-lot of boats from one tanker at a fraction of what you pay at Brooms.

Now that would be a good idea, you could probably even specify FAME free class 2 red and know exactly what you get into the bargain.