Cuckoos

marshman

I am delighted to say that the remaining tagged cuckoos have begun their journeys.

I don't want to wish time away but there is always an intense pleasure at hearing your first cuckoo of the year.

They have only just started moving so don't reply that you have already heard one - I guess young Mr Waller will be a good guess to hear one of the early ones, living as he does next to Carlton Marshes!

• Like 5

Strangely enough I thought I head one yesterday! Naa, unlikely, late April, early May more like! 

By the way, MM, I live opposite Carlton Marshes, lucky me. From my bedroom I look down on the reserve, excellent vantage point, when there is no mist like what there is right now!

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

By the way, MM, I live opposite Carlton Marshes, lucky me. From my bedroom I look down on the reserve, excellent vantage point, when there is no mist like what there is right now!

So when the mist clears, anyone with a long lens in the marshes can see straight into your bedroom! I wonder what wildlife they would see? :default_norty: :default_norty: :default_hiding:

• Haha 2

Guest Jayfire
10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

We're no fools, we have curtains!

And everyone planning on a future visit to Carlton Marshes breaths a huge sigh of relief :default_norty:

I still remember the first time I ever heard a cuckoo. We were moored at North Cove on the Waveney. One of my favourite moorings ever. So peaceful and just one other boat. You can’t recreate those moments. 

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I still remember the first time I ever heard a cuckoo. We were moored at North Cove on the Waveney. One of my favourite moorings ever. So peaceful and just one other boat. You can’t recreate those moments. 

And only a short stroll to the Three Horsehoes and/or the Swan Inn too Jean :default_beerchug:

I love it there too

I remember the first time I became aware of the call of lapwings. We were moored at West Somerton and there was a huge flock of them close by in a field. It was around this time, early 80s, that we started to take an interest in all the Broadland birds, previously only having knowledge of garden birds. I think it was also around this time that I noticed the Cetti’s warbler call more on the southern rivers and that call now seems everywhere whilst the willow warbler seems very scarce. Times change but as long as there is birdsong across the rivers and marshes, the memories will be made. 

07DB9CED-5210-423B-8F40-32F792F8DB47.jpeg

• Like 1