Sailing Yachts

Andrewcook

I've notice there are few Sailing Yachts on the Broads why? Is it because the River Ant Trees are restricting these magnificent Sailing Yachts up on to Barton Broads as they used to in October now No more. They can of Course go to Hickling Broads by getting under Potter Brigham with a squeeze getting there Mast Down . Would theses Sailing Yachts help the environment?

Very probably because there are fewer people who can actually sail, but also people these days have to have a plan to stick too.

Actually remember that many do have inboard engines so you can motor if you want to!! But people want their boats to be like their houses and you are never going to get that in your average sailing boat! Who wants a boat you can hardly stand in, let alone sit down comfortably in!!!

Although I am getting past it now but there is nothing better than a good thrash up the Bure in a Rebel!!!!!! (For the uninitiated the Rebel is a 23' half decker that goes like s**t off a shovel and if you know what you are doing, Hunters will hire you one of theirs!!!)

Oh, I have hired the Hunters Rebel. (The first one, they now have two.) I've also hired their White Boat, their Waveney OD, all of their lugsail half deckers and several of their yachts. As I do not own a boat on the Broads, Hunters is the essential go to. Fortunately over the years I have been able to sail on several private yachts as well. I'm not sure that there has been a massive recuction in sailing yachts as many of the ex hire ones have passed into private hands and also new ones are being built. Swallowtail Boatyard are booked up for years if you want a new build!

I think Marshman may have a valid point about people's expectations, but ther will always remain those of a different view. For me, being afloat has always been about the actual sailing, and doing it to the best of my ability. This is probably why I both race and teach. If it involves being a bit basic then that's not a problem. The same is true when I go into the mountans or down a cave. Fortunately I seem to have successfully passed this ethos on to the younger generation and, circumstances permitting, my elder son will be joining me later in the year to sail from Spain to The Canaries and then back via Madiera.

• Like 4

We have felt so privileged being able to hire from Hunters Yard.

We love chugging about in Moonlight Shadow, but absolutely nothing can beat our first afternoon’s experience on the Broads on Hunters Yard’s Wood Violet. That perfect moment... just north of the Potter Heigham bungalows (we were completely naive and got under that bridge without knowing what a big deal it was)... the only sounds being the water chuckling under the keel, wind through the reeds and bird song. Bliss. Is it any wonder we fell in love with the Broads. 

• Like 4

Meanwhile Horning Sailing club is reopening April 4th, with Racing on Black Horse Broad, followed By a down river  on April the 5th, the tide is a bit Awkward on the 5th so I'm not sure whether they'll sail to Thurne or Acle , That will depend on the amount of wind I think..

A lot of boats didn't get launched last year.. For instance even when sailing was permitted, there was a limit of about 30 at Horning due to covid..

This year we're all hoping the 3 Rivers Race will go ahead 5-6th June over 100 boats expected, Like at the 3RR preparations  in the picture.

Our Regatta week 31st July to 6th Aug 2021 has normally about 100 boats in it some years has reached over 150..

It's sad to see the Rebels sold out of Horning Sailing Club, as all 16 were in the club at one time.. But if they have to go Hunters is the best place..

I'm hoping to get my sailing boats feet wet this year, I'm desperately trying to get her finished for regatta week.. If She doesn't make it she will have to wait till the start of season 2022.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marshman said:

But people want their boats to be like their houses and you are never going to get that in your average sailing boat!

Some people might!

With the sad reduction in moorings people will have to adapt as what a day out on the river means. For sailing folk it generally means being under way, can't beat it!

14 hours ago, marshman said:

Actually remember that many do have inboard engines so you can motor if you want to!! But people want their boats to be like their houses and you are never going to get that in your average sailing boat! Who wants a boat you can hardly stand in, let alone sit down comfortably in!!!

I often describe mine as my man cave. Good analogy - often dingey, can't stand up fully, somewhat damp, and if I haven't emptied the pota poti recently has a smell often found in caves ( and underpasses )

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Some people might!

With the sad reduction in moorings people will have to adapt as what a day out on the river means. For sailing folk it generally means being under way, can't beat it!

Maybe some sailing after dark too, to a wild mooring perhaps or mud weighting on a rhond, can’t beat that nighther!

• Like 1