Biodiesel

Andrewcook

Used to run my old Citroen on chip fat.  But, and this was important, it had a diesel preheater for winter because at lower temperatures it just would not flow. 
Basically, the older the engine and its technology, the better. 
modern injection systems are right up there in complicated computer systems my home brew days are long gone

there might be issues for some seals in things like fuel pumps and similar seals with some of the bio diesels, I know there have been issues with some cars. that said my diesel volvo gets dosed up with regular top ups of 5 litres of vegtable oil mixed into a tank (when the price is below £5 for 5 litres in asda) it can actually clean up the emissions slightly as the original diesel engines were designed to run on peanut oil. but be warned, most modern cars wont like straight vegetable oil, as their systems are so finely tuned and their emissions controls and fuel pumps may not like it, so research is needed 

• Like 1

I think Herbert Woods started using GTL fuel which is derived from gas, GTL stands for gas to liquid and is produced by Shell.  It reduces the amount of NOx and especially particulates compared to normal diesel, gas is a fossil fuel so the CO2 reduction is limited.  There's another version called HVO for hydrotreated vegetable oil, this reduces NOx and particulates to a lesser amount than GTL but the CO2 reduction is much greater as it's not made with fossil fuel.

Due to the low power and small size of boats on the Broads we're not affected by the new IMOIII or Stage 5 emission regulations, otherwise new boats and re-powers would require SCR exhaust systems with Ad Blue etc.

As already mentioned these fuels can cause issues with older engines, I understand they can dry the seals out on some pumps although replacement seals which are not affected can be fitted.

So they cut down the rain forest to plant palm oil trees that's really going to help the world ecosystem they my be trees but smaller and no animals or birds.Hippersons at Beccles now sell the diesel that's made from gas it has no diesel bug properties plus higher octane and cleaner. John

• Like 1