Hire Boating - But Not As I know It!

pks1702

Not Broads based but Hire boating so I guess this fits here!

For some while the crews of Kingfisher and Kiki have been mulling the idea of taking our ships to Ireland for a season but thought it might be prudent to have a little recce first.

Therefore we found ourselves on a Hire Boat exploring the Shannon and Loughs :o

This cruising area is about as far removed from the Broads as one could imagine. It has the combination of River Cruising for those that want something a bit more gentle (unless the Shannon is in flood) or exploring the massive Loughs of Derg and Ree which are virtual inland seas. Lough Derg is 7.5 miles at its widest point and 22 miles long and has the ability in strong winds to cut up with that fetch. Plenty to keep the interest up with Locks to transit and some nav on the Loughs.

I thought it a rich and varied cruising area with public facilities we can only dream of on the broads, we covered around 170km and had but three hours from Killaoe to exit to the coast at Limerick had we been allowed :naughty: That would entail getting through the Ardnacrusha Lock....... http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/about/ ... dnacrusha/

We had some excellent advice of stops and pubs/restaurants to visit from a local who posts on the MBM so thanks Ocean Froggie

Anyway a few snaps

I have never seen another Viki in the UK on our travels but saw three in Ireland - common as muck!

Not sure about the canopy

IMG2378-XL.jpg

A few scratches on this one but maybe the one in the you Tube link below :? I'm sure Jonny will let us know....

IMG2268-XL.jpg

Carrick Quayside

IMG2287-XL.jpg

For the Broads AA's 5kmh limit

IMG2294-XL.jpg

Friendly Though

IMG2296-XL.jpg

IMG2299-XL.jpg

It was very quiet with relatively few boats around but on Lough Ree we saw three at once!

IMG2302-XL.jpg

Ye Olde Port Hand Markers

IMG2327-XL.jpg

Ireland seems very popular with German boaters - We got our towels on the deck chair first exiting this lock :P

IMG2329-XL.jpg

Irish Equivalent of Broads Red Stakes

IMG2338-XL.jpg

Heard of Singing in The Rain but................

IMG2346-XL.jpg

To trim or not to trim that is the question

IMG2344-XL.jpg

Ireland's Hire boats are generally 'proper' ships like this

IMG2351-XL.jpg

All fitted with proper 'hand brakes'

IMG2358-XL.jpg

We found the people very friendly but there is the odd reminder of the past

IMG2367-XL.jpg

Athlone Public Marina

IMG2369-XL.jpg

Leaving Athlone

IMG2397-XL.jpg

St O'Benets :naughty:

IMG2422-XL.jpg

'Customs' Check

IMG2443-XL.jpg

"I could get used to a Flybridge" :shocked

IMG2482-XL.jpg

Especially when the downstairs Helm does this :shocked

IMG2542-XL.jpg

Even with major work their bridges still swing on time

IMG2488-XL.jpg

Bridge Waiting Pontoons

IMG2500-XL.jpg

Public Moorings

IMG2529-XL.jpg

IMG2528-XL.jpg

Lough Derg

IMG2571-XL.jpg

IMG2604-XL.jpg

IMG2601-XL.jpg

Heading Home

IMG2639-XL.jpg

Senator wrote;

Looks stunning Perry, no doubt a great time was had by all but did you find any black nutritional drinks?

Yes Ian but only on the grounds of research you understand.

In fact I was not going to do it but then saw this sign :liar

IMG2555-L.jpg

Verdict was excellent Clive.

Massive amount of diverse area's to go at; possibly a bit daunting for the first timer but enough of a challenge for those who are experienced hirers.

The shore side facilities are stunning I suspect in part due to EU grants but unspoilt public moorings in superb locations many with facilities that would put UK marina's to shame.

Certainly an area I would recommend; no guarantees on the weather though :naughty:

Most hirers we came across were German, Swiss or Austrian so I can only think it is some very targeted marketing or the fact they just have a penchant for the Black stuff

I've spoken at length with people who have 'done ireland' my brother lives in Dublin and never stops telling me how positive the Irish view tourism and how this is reflected at every level. Just looking at the photos has sold me on the idea of a trip over. Thank you .. Beautiful! And the quality of the 'public' moorings - I've never seen a private one looking that good! cheers

A nice reminder Perry, I reckon we both agree it needs a bit more time, like the whole summer on our own ships, but those Haynes 39s with a 135hp we saw come a close second for the lochs. SWMBO is already researching one for next year. I'm in Shotley as I have a commission tomorrow so had some "black" tonight, but it's not the same. :grin:

MY littleboat posted:

Just looking at the photos has sold me on the idea of a trip over. Thank you .. Beautiful!

You will not be disappointed I assure you; there is enough Nav & Locks to keep up the interest of the more experienced boater and the facilities and hospitality excellent. I concur that some UK Marina's do not have facilities like we came across it was an eye opener, most though had a plaque thanking the EU for the financial assistance though :shocked

I reckon we both agree it needs a bit more time, like the whole summer on our own ships...:

Beat a trip from WRC to St Kits and back wouldn't it!

It is a long way from Shotley to the Shannon though, just to get over there would be a long trip,

and you would presumably want to do it in reverse at the end of the season.

What are you thinking of, round Lands End and ?

1) steer north west for Cork (would you have the range?),

2) coast hop up to Fishguard, across to Rosslare, up to Dublin and cross Ireland to the Shannon on either the Grand Canal or the Royal Canal

3) coast hop up to Fishguard, across to Rosslare, coast hop down the coast to Cork, Dingle, and the Shannon Estuary

or

4) Put them on the back of a lorry and use Irish Ferries.

But Airdraft and possibly Draft might be a problem on Canal routes:

Grand Canal Navigational Criteria

Length: 18.5m

Beam: 3.9m

Draft: 1.2m (1m in Dublin)

Airdraft: 2.45m over a width of 3.0m

Lowest Bridge: Ringsend Railway Bridge

Royal Canal Navigational Criteria

Length: 21m

Beam: 3.9m

Draft: 1m

Airdraft: 3m

Lowest Bridge: Liffey Junction Railway Bridge

(no width given for the Airdraft on the Royal Canal, but 3m for the Grand Canal,

does that mean that there are no arched bridges on the Royal but there are on the Grand?)

Should I buy shares in the Diesel suppliers now?

For those interested in more research: http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm

Hi Perry

Enjoyed the pictures, though I will never look at a Caprice in the same way again! :naughty:

We had a look in one recently at Horning and I admit to being more impressed with it than I expected, so I might just have to hire one one time, but perhaps not from Horning! :grin:

Dan

I was surprised how light and airy the Caprice was Dan even when the weather was not great there was plenty of natural light and the 'living area' of the boat actually seemed internally larger than its size. I have to say it would not pull a Hen off its Nest but perhaps we are used to a few more horses on tap when manoevering. But it was traditional with no Bow Thruster so it was back to basics on boat handling.

We came into Dromineer with a good F5 SW on our beam and then up our chuff; for a hire boat it was quite interesting as the big fetch had allowed the wave height to build a bit, although it did wander a bit it handled quite well and would have been better if those extra horses were around.

What I know about hire boats you could write on a fag packet Dan so I will leave my observations there but a Caprice in France or Ireland I am sure you would not be a disappointment.

What are you thinking of, round Lands End and ?

1) steer north west for Cork (would you have the range?),

2) coast hop up to Fishguard, across to Rosslare, up to Dublin and cross Ireland to the Shannon on either the Grand Canal or the Royal Canal

3) coast hop up to Fishguard, across to Rosslare, coast hop down the coast to Cork, Dingle, and the Shannon Estuary

or

4) Put them on the back of a lorry and use Irish Ferries.

We would have the range with reserve Martin, but it would just take too long what with the capricious (pardon the pun) weather windows, personally I would love to put into some of my old haunts on a coastal trip around, Passage East, Youghall, Cork, Baltimore et al but that's really a retirement trip. Trucking would be an option but it would mean leaving the boats for a year to justify the cost, one could probably get a really good deal on a month's hire of a nice Haynes or Broom for the cost of trucking so that would make a lot more sense. Would be nice for Kiki to see a few of her sisters though, she's a bit lonely over here.

Ok so if you do go how are you thinking of doing it?

I am still stuck in the hire or pay trap, to me it still comes out cheaper to charter when I have time to use one

than have my own boat.

Roll on retirement!

My own passage record is about 230 miles non-stop (Milford to Brixham in 36 hours) but Lands End to Cork still looks like one hell of a trip.

Doing a trip like that under engine alone....

Still you do at least have two of them I believe...

For long distances I still tend towards the concept of a vessel with the ability to use the wind when the tank runs dry.

For confined spaces, like the Broads, I would take a cruiser any time!

It is a Fastnet year again this year, and no I am not tempted to try it.

Some of us still remember the disaster year (1979 I think it was) that re-wrote the boat survival guides...

I would have the ship trucked to Milford Haven which would be much cheaper and then across to the East Coast and work around anti clockwise. I wouldn’t bother to do an exact passage plan until the decision was made. I certainly agree that real distance work is better done by sail or in a big trawler yacht where shifts can be comfortably taken.

Jonzo wrote:

although for the southern half of that system I think we'd use Silverline marine as they also run a lot of decent newer Haines boats - which always have a bit of grunt.

Very nice range Jonzo I agree.

IMG2451-XL.jpg

Having said ours would not pull a Hen of its Nest it did keep the Germans at bay for a while :naughty:

MVI2401-XL.jpg

looks like you all had a good time...i do prefer the viki sedan version

I new David reminded me of somebody i think you will all agree (Billy Ray Thronton :grin::grin::grin: )

Jonny