I’ve Always Fancied That!

Wonderwall

How many times , when you talk to people about the broads do they say “ I’ve always fancied doing that, it sounds wonderful “

I kid you not, almost every person says it to me! If they all went , it would be a busy place!

Saying that, I remember being at Yarmouth marina in the 80’s , and they were 3 abreast at moorings!! Unthinkable now, even two abreast dosent impress me. Being hemmed in by another boat is just not cricket. I must be getting old!

• Like 6

That's spot on. So many people have said that to me. I always tell them that if they have even the slightest inclination then they should give it a go. All kinds of boats for all kinds of budgets ... just do it!

• Like 2

The same can be said for boating on any waterway be it the Broads, other rivers or the canals throughout the UK.

In 1998/99 we looked in earnest for a boat share scheme and at that time we only found two such schemes in the country. We visited the companies and looked at the boats but were disappointed with the boats layouts, the beds were OK but far too little space was given to dining and relaxation. Our attention was then on cruising the rivers and we attended the 2000 Boat Show, the rest they say is history, we bought into Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate on a bot that was to be commissioned in early 2001 and spent our first allocation that year on the Broads. 

We still continued with our canal holidays but went with a group of friends. I love the Broads but my first love will always be the canals and their pace of life.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, retired said:

Going to look at a narrowboat today, hopefully

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The same can be said for boating on any waterway be it the Broads, other rivers or the canals throughout the UK.

In 1998/99 we looked in earnest for a boat share scheme and at that time we only found two such schemes in the country. We visited the companies and looked at the boats but were disappointed with the boats layouts, the beds were OK but far too little space was given to dining and relaxation. Our attention was then on cruising the rivers and we attended the 2000 Boat Show, the rest they say is history, we bought into Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate on a bot that was to be commissioned in early 2001 and spent our first allocation that year on the Broads. 

We still continued with our canal holidays but went with a group of friends. I love the Broads but my first love will always be the canals and their pace of life.

I’ve never been boating on the canals. 
Always fancied it though. 😁😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

How many times , when you talk to people about the broads do they say “ I’ve always fancied doing that, it sounds wonderful “

Then they look at the prices and compare it to going abroad. Dare I say that's why the Broads have done so well in the last couple of seasons - because these people haven't been able to travel abroad. I don't know that there's a way around it. New boats, which is what people want, cost a lot of money, and that's reflected in the hire charges. Though I think the fleet could have sold out twice over last year (and probably this year at certain periods), things are going to settle down to a number that's around the "norm", which is probably why we're not seeing mass boat building by the major players. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if some bookings sacrifice their deposit once overseas travel comes back online.

I would have said the same, but Hoseasons and the yards have been canny in taking deposits of around 30% of the hire charge to book.

Well, with the announcement of the "green list" of countries we are able to travel to without quarantine, the Broads will be deserted this summer! Yes, along with Portugal, Gibraltar and Iceland, people will be flocking to Australia and New Zealand (oh no I forgot, they are not accepting us currently), Israel, The Falklands, South Georgia, Ascension Islands, St Helena and the South Sandwich Islands (you have to have a ploughman sandwich upon arrival and test negative for salad cream). Yes, the moorings are going to be empty this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The word here is activity. 
That’s a stumbling block for those I talk to. 

Me, personally, hate just laying on the beach and I always like doing something on a holibob. 
The next is children. 
Will they be bored? Probably if they are middleish teenagers but things have improved with better mobile coverage. 
And then there are some who don’t like the uncertainty of a holiday that don’t come all packaged with no thinking needed. 
But go to early middle age families and things get better. With more free cash and willing to adventure. 
Ive invited some work colleagues to visit and a trip around Barton and they are hooked. 
sort of try before you buy

• Like 2