Boat Recovery Services?

38 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well, I've just learnt sommat somewhat disappointing.

I've just tried renewing 'B.A's  breakdown/prop cover with SS Boatyard and they won't take us on because we are a timber hulled craft.  :default_icon_e_surprised:  We have had breakdown cover with them for years too.  Looks like I need a word with Robert in his shell like when I'm there this weekend then 

In the 14 years since we recommissioned her, that is the first time I have come across an issue due to her being a biodegradable boat :default_sad:

It's not like 'B.A' has got a weak or tender hull either for goodness sake

Looks like I'll have to give Boulters a call :default_stinky:

Griff

Not sure that the hull material actually effects mechanical breakdown so I will be interested to hear the reasoning behind this one.

In the meantime, insurance in general for wooden boats is getting harder and harder to obtain. I seem to spend more time talking about insurance than planking these days!

Hopefully someone will see the niche, like they have in the classic car world, and things will  then improve. 

That wasn't part of a breakdown though.

To me, breakdown cover is for engine problems, flat batteries etc. The sort of things you'd call the AA out for if it was your car in need.

I just don't understand what the hull material has to do  with 'breakdown' cover. You wouldn't call the AA if your car needed welding.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I would think it was more to do with the insurance related to lifting (craning) the boat out of the water , as it is more precarious with a wooden hulled vessel 

I would say it is every bit as precarious with a GRP vessel but perhaps for different structural reasons.

That's the breakdown and prop cover in place now with Boulters £169:99 for the year

I'm not too concerned about the breakdown side of things as confident I can sort it mysen in most cases unless its catastrophic but it's the prop cover that's the important one

Griff

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...