Boat Recovery Services?

Being a new boat owner, I'd class myself as having a relatively ''good' mechanical knowledge when it comes to performing basic maintenance tasks on cars / boats (engine servicing, basic electrics etc) and was wondering if most private boat owners invest in one of the boat recovery services that are available?

And if you do have cover who would you recommend if you were moored on the southern broads ? more specifically in Beccles?

Thanks

We have our breakdown plan through Boulders, despite the fact we’re moored in Brundall.  I am aware that Sutton Staithe Boatyard operate a recovery service as well.  To be honest, I haven’t heard of any that are based on the Southern rivers.

• Like 3

Not sure how it works, as I've never had to use it, but my insurance comes with basic rescue with some outfit called River and Canal Rescue or some such name. I presume they farm out rescues to local operators?

• Like 1

My boat broke down a couple of weeks ago. 
We was moored in an inaccessible place by road. 
Sutton Boatyard was recommended by this forum when we bought the boat and we took the advice offered. 
we phoned them with our position, they asked us to try a few simple fixes which failed and then they said they would send someone. 
less than an hour later a day boat appeared with two very friendly fitters appeared and they set to work. 
unfortunately, the engine was shot. Due to the time of day and distance from our home yard, I decided to wait until early next day for a tow. 
This was my choice. They would tow me that night to any yard if I insisted but I had time and I knew my home berth had all the facilities I needed. 
So an eight am tow was arranged and dead on time Brian, the tug arrived. 
The 3 hour tow up the Ant from Wroxham was fun especially through Ludham as people realised this was a long load!

Its a service everyone should have because sometimes something goes wrong no where near help and that could be very expensive  

• Like 2

We have breakdown cover with Sutton boatyard, had it for a number of years now since they started offering the service.

Prior to that we used to have cover with Boulters but it made more sense having it with Sutton since they are just round the corner from our home berth.  To date we have never needed to call them out, lets hope it remains that way

Griff

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Regulo said:

Not sure how it works, as I've never had to use it, but my insurance comes with basic rescue with some outfit called River and Canal Rescue or some such name. I presume they farm out rescues to local operators?

RCR are very big on the canals. They are a members organisation a bit like the AA and RAC used to be. I think they use their own staff in the fist instance, but may supplement with other resources if required. They claim to cover all inland waterways, but I don't know how much presence they have on the Broads.

https://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

We have breakdown cover with Sutton boatyard, had it for a number of years now since they started offering the service.

Prior to that we used to have cover with Boulters but it made more sense having it with Sutton since they are just round the corner from our home berth.  To date we have never needed to call them out, lets hope it remains that way

Griff

Generally if you are prepared,  thankfully it never happens.     When we had our own boat we were with Boulters,  I think that was the only breakdown cover on offer at the time,   in our 10 years thankfully we never had to call them out but it is peace of mind.   Edited to say that it matters not whether you are North or South Broads based.   We were at St Olaves.

• Like 1

We use Rob at Sutton Staithe and are moored at Somerleyton. We have not had to use the service, but it's good to have cover in case you are stranded in an isolated or vulnerable spot.

I had a sticky starter motor last year and managed to sort it out myself, but would not want to be without support from the professionals if needed.

Having cover does not excuse owners from ensuring that regular servicing is performed though.

• Like 2

Boulters for us too. We did have to call them out several years ago now but I remember they came very quickly. I don’t think it matters how far away you roam, if there is a problem either Boulters or SSBY would find a way to get to you I reckon. Or find somebody who could. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I agree the 'piece of mind' if something does go wrong must be worth every penny especially when family members take the boat out whilst we are not with them.

So reading the replies, it looks like Boulters or Sutton boat yard - will take a look at both.

Thanks again all :91_thumbsup:

Worth hammering the point home. 
My engine was fully serviced. 
leaking nothing.  
New filters. 
New belts.  
Diesel polished and soltron added. 
And out of the blue, failed 😞 

When all goes silent the last thing you need to worry about is a tow and how your going to get back

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had the Canal & River Rescue contact me some time ago about helping them out with a job on the Broads. I declined as we didn't have any resources spare, but it appears that they do farm out the work to local yards. I suspect they must have a list of preferred suppliers on the Broads but I have no experience of the service from either end. 

• Thanks 2

They include Canal and River Rescue cover when you’re insured through Nav and General , but , and it’s a big but , they do not cover prop damage/snagging so if they sent someone out to you and it was due to something being wrapped around your prop then you would have to pay the costs of recovery , with Boulters prop cover is an add on , our renewal which was paid at the beginning of May with Boulters was £130.99 all in inclusive of 30%NCD on the breakdown portion , prop cover is £40 including vat so the breakdown portion was £90.99

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've just learnt sommat somewhat disappointing.

I've just tried renewing 'B.A's  breakdown/prop cover with SS Boatyard and they won't take us on because we are a timber hulled craft.  :default_icon_e_surprised:  We have had breakdown cover with them for years too.  Looks like I need a word with Robert in his shell like when I'm there this weekend then 

In the 14 years since we recommissioned her, that is the first time I have come across an issue due to her being a biodegradable boat :default_sad:

It's not like 'B.A' has got a weak or tender hull either for goodness sake

Looks like I'll have to give Boulters a call :default_stinky:

Griff

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2