Bmc 2.2 Engine Wanted

Does anyone have or know of a BMC 2.2 for sale? The engineer is coming out looking at our engine (putting a camera down its thingy...) but in all likelihood it's going to be more costly to fix than replace. 

It ran dry of oil while idling in the shed, came to a stop - and will turn over but with a metallic screech: he doesn't think it sounds good... SO

any recommendations? know how, do's and don'ts are massively appreciated..

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

If a working 2:2 BMC ain't available he might be able to supply a different power unit

Agreed, but these old engines can be economically rebuilt and I believe parts can still be found.

I would guess that the screech is coming from a piston.

Do you know why the engine ran dry of oil? Did it leak out, or was it lack of oil pressure due to blocked galleries?

• Like 3

The 

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Neither engine has a solid supply of spare parts now. 

That is my concern, a fellow boat owner just paid a fortune for a new unused water pump that is 25+ years old to fit a BMC 2:5

Griff

There's a trade off here though: £6k plus for a new engine install or £200 or a waterpump which you'll only ever change once unless you're doing 8 hours a day every day. Incidentally, I can get these rebuilt on an exchange basis. 

• Like 2

If engine is coming out why not remove head easy job, check bores if ok, glaze bust and fit new rings big end shells and main bearing shells put vac test on valve seats evan with strip down and rebuild it will be a lot cheaper than new engine, which will need extra work to make it fit and possible need another gearbox as yours my not be compatible with new engine or good second hand engine BUT unless still fitted you won't be able to run it to check if still ok a engine that's been standing uninhibited for years is unlikely to be in good running condition good as a donner engine for a rebuild there not any bmc engined vehicles still in scrap yards these days where you could start up to check 1= remove and rebuild yours, cheapest    2= new engine, £7 to £8 thousand,   3= rebuilt exchange engine, £2 1/2 thousand,   4= second hand engine condition!!!  several hundred x and if rubbish ends up as a rebuild with extra cost of installation and removal twice.  5=  remove heater plugs squirt engine oil into bores turn over squirt again then start up with prayers cost  ??. Hope this helps John

• Like 2

On 14/05/2021 at 08:32, BroadAmbition said:

Neither engine has a solid supply of spare parts now. 

That is my concern, a fellow boat owner just paid a fortune for a new unused water pump that is 25+ years old to fit a BMC 2:5

Griff

I have a new few 2.5 water pumps which came from the Acle fleet, they are available through taxi spares companies. 

• Like 2